Fixed rear seat trim/moldings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
72 fastback. I am in the process of going back to a fixed rear seat from the PO's butcher job of trying to make it a fold down version.

I have the trunk divider/package tray I need ( Thanks Don from OMS) and the back and bottom seat cushion assemblies.

I will use the 2 "old" forward interior lower quarter panels and sail panels. I have seen where I'll need clips for the package tray that I have on my ebay watch list. I have also seen 4 pieces of trim that are supposed to be for the rear seat and package tray, I also have these on my watch list. Where do they go?

I tried to copy and paste the ebay picture of them, hopefully it'll work.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WSQAAOSwGotWlGXk/s-l1600.jpg:chin:

the black pieces go across the top of the seat over the package tray they overlap side to side. the 2 brown pieces go on the sides of the seat between the plastic quarter trim and the seat... but they look funny to me like they are cut and missing something. its been so many years since i took that area apart i'll see if i took photos when i get home.

ok i found a bad photo of those 4 pieces

mGw6kvSgwUKPthisKdymOLg.jpg

see how the 2 shorter pieces look that is how i remember them

hahaha i found the auction you took the original photo from.

i found a right hand side trim piece

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1973-Mustang-Fastback-Rear-Seat-Non-Fold-Down-Trim-RH-Passenger-Side-/141346077139?hash=item20e8e1f9d3:g:2t8AAOSwiLdWCLsz&vxp=mtr

it fills the gap between the seat and the plastic pieces basically.

ok i found a bad photo of those 4 pieces

mGw6kvSgwUKPthisKdymOLg.jpg

see how the 2 shorter pieces look that is how i remember them

hahaha i found the auction you took the original photo from.

i found a right hand side trim piece

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1973-Mustang-Fastback-Rear-Seat-Non-Fold-Down-Trim-RH-Passenger-Side-/141346077139?hash=item20e8e1f9d3:g:2t8AAOSwiLdWCLsz&vxp=mtr

it fills the gap between the seat and the plastic pieces basically.
Can they be installed after the seatback is nailed to the divider? Since they were trim pieces, I was going to install everything and look for missing pieces, or daylight between pieces...............thanks!

The seatback can be hung without those pieces... I know, because that's how mine currently is. I have the two smaller pieces as 'leftovers,' and asked the question awhile back about where they go. I haven't had a reason to pull the seat back out since, so they are still uninstalled. (Honestly, with a black interior such as mine, as long as the trunk lid's not open, nobody can tell they're missing)

Also, the seatback is literally hung on the divider, not bolted down. There might be a couple of bolts that assist in holding it in-place once it's actually in-place, but over-all, fasteners aren't required to hang the seatback.

yup the seat top and bottom can go on and come off later for you to install the missing pieces.

the top hangs on 2 hooks and gets bolted in 2 spots right where the bottom cushion fits in.

and the bottom just pushes into place and hooks onto the retaining hooks on the chassis floor.

top goes in first then the bottom of the seat.

the 2 long pieces goes behind the seat top over the tray and the 2 side pieces just cover the gaps between the seat and the plastic side trim pieces so you can't see into the trunk.

the black pieces go across the top of the seat over the package tray they overlap side to side. the 2 brown pieces go on the sides of the seat between the plastic quarter trim and the seat... but they look funny to me like they are cut and missing something. its been so many years since i took that area apart i'll see if i took photos when i get home.
H code - There are two versions of the side trim, depends on what year the car is

Danno, I have several sets of that metal trim too

Last edited by a moderator:
H code - There are two versions of the side trim, depends on what year the car is

Danno, I have several sets of that metal trim too
Thanks, Ill let you know. Were you able to locate that upper hook for the seat back? I can always use one from the old fold down seat back, or fabricate something if you don't have one.

Planning on bolting everything in place, test fitting everything ( cushions trim etc), removing it all , ( cushions and trim), then taking it to a qualified welder to have it welded in, if this friggin' weather ever changes..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Back