FLOOR PAN UPDATE --PICS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Ok...so I showed you guys in today's video how to setup for the final cut when your installing your new floor pan If your doing a butt weld vs a lap joint. 80 percent of the guy's out there even the pro's will do a lap joint because it's faster & a heck of lot easier plus you don't have to be so precise. If it's done properly with a step tool & both sides of the joint are welded it is an acceptable repair method. Because of the level I'm taking this car to..(mirrors under the car at the shows) the only method for ME is a butt weld which will be undetectable from inside or the underside of the car..Also with the butt weld technique there is no chance for moisture to ever damage the joint..Ok so I made the final cut as can be seen in the pictures..A perfect joint ! The million dollar question is: How do you hold the 2 pieces in alignment for welding? You can't fit vise clamps in there.. Here's how it's done..You need 2 people..one under the car with a block of wood holding the joint together & flat..You then drill an 1/8" hole right in middle of the joint. Now comes my secret.. You need some cleco fasteners..& you need to make up some special washers from some scrap metal..The pictures will explain it all.

100_3237.JPG

100_3238.JPG

100_3239.JPG

100_3240.JPG

100_3244.JPG

100_3241.JPG

100_3242.JPG

Nice tip Q

I agree,

Lap joint where the factory had laps and butt joint every where else.

I think its actually faster and easier to butt weld joists, than to do all the extra work you need for lap joints.

The better the fit up the faster the welding goes and if your fit is not perfect, use some copper backing and fill it up with weld!

Nice tip Q

I agree,

Lap joint where the factory had laps and butt joint every where else.

I think its actually faster and easier to butt weld joists, than to do all the extra work you need for lap joints.

The better the fit up the faster the welding goes and if your fit is not perfect, use some copper backing and fill it up with weld!
Yea B,

That's one of my top secret tips that I rarely give out !

Agreed except for the butt weld part concerning a floor pan replacement..I can blow out a lap joint in half the time it takes me to do a butt weld on a floor pan replacement. Got my copper spoon handyhttp://www.harborfreight.com/welding-spoon-66785.html but won't be needing on this. :D

Awesome! I can't wait to see it all done up 'Saturday Morning Garage' style!

Can't say it enough - but Scott, you are indeed, 'Da Man!' We're SO fortunate to have you here with us sharing all your advice, inspiration, and encouragement.

Totally awesome! Thanks Scott. It doesn't get any better than this...unless it was my car you're welding those in, otherwise having you on here is the bomb!

Back