Floor pan pains!! Costs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73CobraJet

Reaction score
Hey gang. A guy has to replace and or patch the floors in his 73 convertible. There are four spots ahead and behind the front seats and an area under the rear seat. I can find the four patch panels and full length floor pans. The problem is a guy don't know how to do it or have a welder. The question is; does any have any guesses on labor costs ( I'm removing the interior) to cut out and weld in new metal? I have a threshold of what I can afford. If if the cost is too dear I will most likely give up on the car. The rest of the body in great shape and drive line solid but budget not! I will try to add pics when I get that far!

Would have to see pictures of your current situation. The cost will be different if you are welding in full floor panels vs a full front or rear vs cutting up your patch panels to fix a few random spots.

And are you only wanting to pay somebody to do the metal work? Will you do being the priming and painting yourself?

If you have the workspace, I'd recommend doing it yourself. Floor pans are a great place to learn welding skills. You can get an inexpensive wire feed FCAW (flux-core arc weld) or MIG (metal inert gas) welder and develop your skills on the pans. MIG is better to get cleaner welds, but FCAW will get the job done. There are several members on here that have documented this job in their build threads and there are plenty of how-to videos on YouTube.

Would have to see pictures of your current situation. The cost will be different if you are welding in full floor panels vs a full front or rear vs cutting up your patch panels to fix a few random spots.

And are you only wanting to pay somebody to do the metal work? Will you do being the priming and painting yourself?
That is the plan to do the grinding and painting work. I can do that work plus a guy has a tight budget. Have to put an oil tank in my house too!

If you have the workspace, I'd recommend doing it yourself. Floor pans are a great place to learn welding skills. You can get an inexpensive wire feed FCAW (flux-core arc weld) or MIG (metal inert gas) welder and develop your skills on the pans. MIG is better to get cleaner welds, but FCAW will get the job done. There are several members on here that have documented this job in their build threads and there are plenty of how-to videos on YouTube.
Well it would be a guys only use for a welder, and at 60 with two hip replacements kinda not wanting to da that work, plus I’m worried about not tweaking the car. Doos work great and don’t wanna mess em up!!

Where ya located at? I’ve done lots of floor pans and full restorations. Might be able to help ya out if your not too far.
I love that burnout!!!!

The issue with a convertible is less the floor pan and more the inner rockers, which stiffen the chassis in the absence of a roof. Ford's design trapped water between the rocker and floor pan, promoting rust on the lower surface and at the pinch welds.

Where ya located at? I’ve done lots of floor pans and full restorations. Might be able to help ya out if your not too far.
A guy is in Pa, about 25 miles east of Harrisburg!
I have a free 275-gallon indoor fuel oil tank with accessories if you're interested....
Thanks, Jay
Thanks, I’m trying to figure out how to get it into my house! My garage was added to my property at a later date. Gotta find one that’ll fit through a man door! I don’t know if I can even get the old one out!! SMH!!

Typically a 275 gal fuel tank will fit thru a standard 3' door. I was able to originally bring it in an exterior door and an interior door & slid it down the stairs on a few planks with the help of a come-along and a few helpers.

A guy is in Pa, about 25 miles east of Harrisburg!

Thanks, I’m trying to figure out how to get it into my house! My garage was added to my property at a later date. Gotta find one that’ll fit through a man door! I don’t know if I can even get the old one out!! SMH!!
I’m about an hour north of Pittsburgh. If you can’t find anyone local let me know.

Those floor pans dont look completely shot. From what I can see, It looks like you (or somebody else) could get a replacement pan and cut out a few patches from it to fix a spot here and there. With the carpet and seats already removed, maybe a couple hours worth of work welding and grinding.

Back