Flywheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studdley

Reaction score
My Car
72 Grande 351c, 73 Mach Rust
Got a '73 mach 1, doing a manual swap, which flywheel should I use 164 or 157? Cast iron bellhousing

You are going to go to all the trouble of a manual swap and put a three speed in? I hate to be critical, but why???? It is the same work for a 4 speed and all the same additional parts. Save your dough and do it once and do it right.

Just my opinion and I won't criticize any further.

Have to agree with Jeff. I know very little about the 3 speeds, so I can't help with the flywheel choice, but I would certainly opt for a 4 speed or as I actually opted for a 5 speed so I have OD and can run taller gears and still cruise on the highway.

Got a '73 mach 1, doing a manual swap, which flywheel should I use 164 or 157? Cast iron bellhousing
Syuddley,

Do yourself a favor and find a manual transmission mustang parts car.

it will make this job a lot easier, and will end up costing a lot less in the long run.

I did this swap on my 71fb using a 73 mach donor car.

switched to power disc brakes at the same time.

that being said there are subtle differences in the clutch hanger to column mounting hardware.

does your car have power disc ?

Boilermaster

Are you sure the bellhousing goes with the transmission? The depth of the bellhousing has to match the length of the input shaft.

I'm sure there are cast iron bellhousings for both 157 and 164 flywheels. Do you know what the 3-speed came out of, and what the bellhousing came out of? Are you sure the 3-speed will be strong enough?

A Cleveland with a 157 tooth bellhousing cannot use a stock starter, has to be mini gear-drive starter.

I had a new 64-1/2 Mustang with a 2V 289 and a 3-speed, was all I could find, couldn't stand it, traded it for a '65 4V 4-speed as soon as I could get one ordered. So, I agree with Jeff and Jason, and I would never have another 3-speed manual.

Well I bought the bell and trans for 100 bucks, I picked a hydro to bearing, and now I need a clutch and fly, the car was bought as a roller, and I like the sensation of a stick, I simply cannot afford a 4 speed, trans about of a 68 mustang, bell is for a 71-73 mustang

Are you sure the bellhousing goes with the transmission? The depth of the bellhousing has to match the length of the input shaft.

I'm sure there are cast iron bellhousings for both 157 and 164 flywheels. Do you know what the 3-speed came out of, and what the bellhousing came out of? Are you sure the 3-speed will be strong enough?

A Cleveland with a 157 tooth bellhousing cannot use a stock starter, has to be mini gear-drive starter.

I had a new 64-1/2 Mustang with a 2V 289 and a 3-speed, was all I could find, couldn't stand it, traded it for a '65 4V 4-speed as soon as I could get one ordered.  So, I agree with Jeff and Jason, and I would never have another 3-speed manual.
I bought the trans for 50 bucks and I'm used to driving 3 on the tree, trans is from a 68 mustang and the bell is from a 72 mustang

Gotcha!

IIRC 164 tooth is what would have come from the factory on all small blocks v-8 Mustangs during 71-73. I'm not sure if a 3 speed manual was even available during this time frame though so you may need to research interchangeability a bit further

Gotcha!

IIRC 164 tooth is what would have come from the factory on all small blocks v-8 Mustangs during 71-73.  I'm not sure if a 3 speed manual was even available during this time frame though so you may need to research interchangeability a bit further
What would happen if i used a 157 tooth fly?

I see you decided you need a 164 tooth flywheel, are you sure your bellhousing is a 164 tooth? Here's how to tell the difference:

If you're still not sure, get the casting number off it, I have a fairly good list of bellhousing casting numbers.

EDIT: I see Jeff gave you the link to Mustang Tek. That'll help you more than the picture I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
164T for certain. Make sure the bell is for the 164t flywheel and not a 157t. Post the casting # on the bell. You have to make sure the block plate matches as well.

Can't help with a hydraulic clutch conversion, only used stock stuff.

3 speed sucks, but it's a driveshaft and six bolts to swap to a 4 speed in the future. :)

I see you decided you need a 164 tooth flywheel, are you sure your bellhousing is a 164 tooth? Here's how to tell the difference:

If you're still not sure, get the casting number off it, I have a fairly good list of bellhousing casting numbers.

EDIT: I see Jeff gave you the link to Mustang Tek. That'll help you more than the picture I posted.
I measured, its 164

Not to throw more measurements at you but have you checked the input shaft length of the trans and compared to the bell housing to make sure that part is compatible? You may have posted this already and I missed it, if so I apologize. Just trying to help make sure once started you can keep rolling on it as I have done this conversion and it get frustrating when you feel like you are moving forward then have to stop because something isn't compatible.

Latest posts

Back