FPA headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Just wanted to let you guys know about these FPA headers. I’ve had them around 5months. They have been on the car 3 months and started the car only a few times. I got the ceramic coated header option on a 460/429. They fit good but horrible quality coating and weld. The headers have NEVER been outside and there covered in rust on all welds and spotted everywhere.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

i have those same headers as well and i painted them with hot temp gray paint. at certain places the paint is chipping off. no rust though.

mine fit super tight against the steering box.

I had to notch the bell housing and put a small dent in them to get them to clear the clutch cable. They do sit very close to the steering box though they still fit better then the hooker super comps did. Seems strange out of all the custom stuff I’ve done to the car headers have been the most complicated.

I am surprised considering the premium price. I was thinking about the steering box issue (on other forums some folks had to notch the header to clear the box). I wonder if some of this has to do with motor mounts? The 73 convertible mountes were unique. I used a regular set and they 'seemed to work'. But I noticed the other day my fan is rubbing against the bottom of the stock shroud. I wonder if my motor is stilling 'a little lower' than it would with 'the correct' mount????? I assume this would also contribute to a steering box clearance issue.

I had picked up some used hooker super comps. I got ripped off, they were in much worse shape than the EBAY ad suggested. Oh well. Tried to save some green. I will end up replacing them, probably with hookers again.

Mad, has FPA done anything to address the tight clearance or coating issue?

I have a completed 460/C6 combo ready for my '71, but have not seen any (and I mean ANY) good recommendations for a clean, high quality, dent free installation for any manufacturer's headers. The FPA's are exactly what I'm looking to put in my street only car, but I absolutely refuse to whack on a set of new tube$$ for any reason.

Pittsburgh's "road system" (I use that term loosely) leaves a lot to be desired for anything with an undercarraige lower than an F250.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't contacted them yet. I just got the headers back on from notching them to clear the bellhousing. I will be contacting them tomorrow and I will let you know what they say. I am just let down since I only had them for 3 months and the car only ran a total of 20 minutes. I had them coated by FPA and rust is coming through. I spent a lot of money on these so this should not have happened. This is not the quality you would expect on a show car. They are rusted and there is no way to polish them or anything.

We are all watching...

Is it that difficult to get it right? Or are our cars off that much from one to another? I understand the fit is as tight as a new bride(well at least in the old days), but to ding a header.

WE ARE IN THE 21st CENTURY. Vendors have had 40 years to fabricate a header that fits, and it still isn't done?

they are super easy to install however they are just tight on the steering box. mine is maybe a paper clip away but i am not notching it. i watch it closely when the car is idleing and reving and they don't touch though.

they are super easy to install however they are just tight on the steering box. mine is maybe a paper clip away but i am not notching it.
I'm with Wolverine on the quality issue. To me, this engineering oversight is not acceptable.

I have seen a new, coated Hooker Comp (street) header install on a small block '75ish Monte Carlo that hit the steering box HARD and required ball pien adjustment. Are you kidding??? There have to be 2 gazillion of those headers produced over the past 30 years, and Hooker couldn't get it CLOSE, let alone right.

Sad.

I just don't understand.

Hi guys, well I guess I can’t complain too much. I called FPA yesterday before work and didn’t hear back till today. FPA themselves didn’t call back but Brad from Performance Coating did. This is the place that does all there coatings for them. He was very nice and explained that from the description I gave him it was a curing issue. He is going to pay for all the shipping, repair and recoating of the headers. I didn’t have to raise hell or anything he was very apologetic, polite and more then eager to help so it sounds like everything is good. I would say my issues are probably rare and don’t happen a lot?

Well, that sounds like good news. Service after the sale is what separates many companies. Stuff happens... it's how they deal with it that is important.

If I ever go ceramic I am going to test fit first and then have them done. It's a pain but worth it.

I am surprised they haven't modified the design to better clear the steering box (I know this isn't your issue). Seems like a lot of people have it.

Follow up and service is a huge deal for me. Hope it all works out. Let us know the results. :)

Back