Fram Rail Engine Brace

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
As I was working on cleaning up the engine bay today I decided to remove the motor mounts and clean them up a bit. Well, I got to looking at the cross member there and realized that it looks pretty bent. I don't know what this cross member in the engine bay is called. But it looks bent and twisted to me.

28kslk4.jpg

Can someone comment about how badly this might be damaged and how difficult it will be to remove and replace? I'm sure it would be fine if I left it. But nows to time to fix it. And even worse, I would know it was under there.

As I was working on cleaning up the engine bay today I decided to remove the motor mounts and clean them up a bit. Well, I got to looking at the cross member there and realized that it looks pretty bent. I don't know what this cross member in the engine bay is called. But it looks bent and twisted to me.

28kslk4.jpg

Can someone comment about how badly this might be damaged and how difficult it will be to remove and replace? I'm sure it would be fine if I left it. But nows to time to fix it. And even worse, I would know it was under there.
Ed,

Can you take a few more pics ? looking straight on from the front & rear.

Hey Q, Thanks for the response. I'll need to wait for the storm to pass to get some additional footage. Maybe I can doa quick video to give some perspective.

Yeah, it's bent. The earlier cars (65-70) the crossmember bolted in. The later cars (71-73) it is part of the welded in subframe. My '73 convertible is bent up pretty bad and the oil pan had jb weld slathered all over it where it had rubbed thru from scraping bottom. I'm rebuilding the engine and swapping the trans to an AOD, so I'll be cutting my bent one out and welding in another I bought from another member here that was parting out a front end assy. No pics yet but I'll post some when I get a chance.

Latest posts

Back