Frame connectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I have Global West subframe connectors on my convertible. I wonder if they stopped making them.
http://www.globalwest.net/911c.html

Still have them...That's what I bought. No cutting.
Sweet. I just didn't see them. These are what I used. Work like a champ. They are pretty tight to the underside too.

Anyone that want's to see them can click on my garage in my sig and look in the modifications tab. There is a pretty good pic.

These cars need them badly. A cage also does wonders.

Interesting. I have Global West subframe connectors on my convertible. I wonder if they stopped making them.
http://www.globalwest.net/911c.html

Still have them...That's what I bought. No cutting.
Sweet. I just didn't see them. These are what I used. Work like a champ. They are pretty tight to the underside too.
I got mine on a few weekends ago. No muss, no fuss, went right on. I won't recommend them for precision technical illustrations anytime soon (based on their hand-drawn instructions), but everything aside - awesome product.

The only issue I have with mine is the old school Lakewood traction bars - the inside forward U-Bolt mounting eyes will most likely wind up slapping the subframe connectors when the suspension flexes. I'm planning on stuffing some bigger 'bump stops' in there to hopefully alleviate that, otherwise I'll have to come up with another solution.

The only issue I have with mine is the old school Lakewood traction bars - the inside forward U-Bolt mounting eyes will most likely wind up slapping the subframe connectors when the suspension flexes. I'm planning on stuffing some bigger 'bump stops' in there to hopefully alleviate that, otherwise I'll have to come up with another solution.
Take a look in my garage and the pictures in the modified section.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335

I have the the under wheel 'shelby style' traction bars. They clear the sub connectors and help not only with traction but with braking too (no wheel hop)

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Might have to check into that - the ones I have now came with the car, and cleaned up really nice. Hopefully, I'll be able to make them work instead of getting something new.

I just put the Tinman subframes under my 72 this weekend. Went in really nice without any headaches. The car feels much more solid.

Hello everyone, got a question concerning subframe connectors, im currently installing new floor pans and the car has a 4 point roll bar installed however theres no frame ties. now im not keen on the bolt in style (if there are any even) nor the weld ins. has anyone built there own frame connectors? ones that connect both front and rear frames but also tie into the rocker for added rigidity. ive thought about using 2x3 steel stock to make my own but figured id ask to see if anyone has already done it. ive seen it done on foxbody mustangs. any pics would be great! i dont mind cutting on the new floors to get this done i think the benefits outweigh the cost. thanks all!
Subrame connectors are one the best upgrades you can do to stiffen up the chassis for better handling. But in order to really see significant gains & get the most out of it you need the upgraded suspension components , you need to stiffen up tie in the hinge pillar to shock tower like so (I'm going to custom fabricate a set of these for my car)

& You need the monto carlo bar to tie it all together..It's the whole package ! Stiffening up one thing just moves the stress somewhere else in the chassis..Personally I'm going to use the global west connectors..I don't think there's a huge difference in weld in vs bolt in for a street car UNLESS your building a drag track car then I would weld..But I've only seen weld in for our cars..So weld in it is ..You could fabricate your own..& the rocker reinforcements.. But they are so cheap that to buy the metal..then powder coat then your time ...it's not saving much money..A better approach to stiffening the rockers chassis structure is to install convertible inner rockers but again unless it's pure track car I don't see the need.

http://www.globalwest.net/67-73-mustang-body-and-frame-stifners.html

They also have the rocker rail support kit on the same page as the connectors.
What is the story with these hinge pillar to shock tower braces? You said you are making them? I'm about to have some sub frame connectors put on my 73 grande and I like these braces also. I'm interested in racing my car but idk if I should look into some these or not. Are you selling these or are they still in the works?

I used Tinman weld in subframe connector's too. Great product and very easy install if you can weld. I got the cross brace, but found I could not use it with my current exhaust system.

those hinge pillar braces look excellent and if you ever decide to sell them commercially, I would like to buy a pair.

I used Tinman weld in subframe connector's too. Great product and very easy install if you can weld. I got the cross brace, but found I could not use it with my current exhaust system.

those hinge pillar braces look excellent and if you ever decide to sell them commercially, I would like to buy a pair.
Interesting about the cross brace. I didn't look through the threads and such to see it. The convertibles have a 'plate' that is bolted on just aft of the transmission. I don't remember this on my Mach 1. I don't know if the standar floor boards have holes for it or not. If you go to my garage and look at the pic of the underside from the rear you can kind of make it out.

I will have to take a look at some detailed shots of non-convert under carraiges to see if there is a difference.

The whole boxed in section and the brace (plate) are unique to the convertible. My plan is to tie my subframe connectors into the brace as I want to add some torsional strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought weld in subframe connectors when the car was in the bodyshop and they welded it in for me there. since then i've added a 10 POINT ROLL CAGE!!! the body is super ridged.

i redid my front suspension 10 years ago and i'm sure it wouldn't mind another overall pretty soon but i'm going to go with roller perches and suspension from street or track. the rear suspension however has already been done with the traction bars, mono leaf, and drag shocks.

i'm sure not all of you want a 8-10 point roll cage so......:p:D

Back