Front Coil Spring help needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
I am continueing in my concourse level restoration. I am fortunate to have the build sheet for my car like many others on the forum. I have all of the suspension parts refinished for installation, but I need to apply the factory assembly markings. My build sheeet indicates N and P in the front spring section on the buildsheet. I am pretty sure about the P for pink, but the N has stumped me and others.

Does anyone have a 71 or 72 Mach 1,351 2V without air that may still have visible markings on the coil springs? Colors are usually blues, yellows, greens, etc... The markings are usually rear of center on at least the bottom 4-5 coils. I am trying my best to research and stay original.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck has also been stumped on that one and the Concourse Mustang Forum that I also belong to has not been able to indentify any common correlations. I was hopeing a member would have a 71 or 72 351 2V sitting around they could look at. My best shot is going to be to try and find a car that is equally equiped to get a description of what colors are visible.

You can get these answers on the early stangs, but once again the big bodies are still waiting for their day in the sun.

Thank you,

What about the rule book for judging a concoarse car in those fancy clubs/shows
Not covered there. Just indicates correct finishes. I think they recently added (CHROME) for the engine bay. With that you are locked in for GOLD at any show you go too. :D

bkdunha,

Here is some information related to the 1971 429 CJ Mustangs and Cougars. Not quite what you are looking for, but good information on the paint dabs of the 429 equipped cars.

mustang7173

I actually stopped in at Perkins Shop in Juneau, WI a couple of years ago. He had a display of suspension pieces for our year hanging on the wall.

Here is that post:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-original-front-suspension-appearence

He did not have any similiarly equiped 71-73 to mine. He had a coupl eof low mileage original Boss 351's, but they would not indicate the same spring.

So far, no luck trying the experts as a 351 2V was pretty plain jane and not worth anyone's time to document. All of the cars I have found to compare to were all AC cars and should have a heavier front spring. I was hopeing someone here would have an original 72 sitting around as a driver or parts car they could look at to see if they have factory markings. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Here is another post from Perkins shop:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-mustang-heaven-pictures

Need build date

PS or manual steering

HD suspension or base

Need build date

PS or manual steering

HD suspension or base
Build Date is: 01/05/1972

Power Steering

Mach 1 standard Competition suspension

Standard HD mach 1 suspension 3/4 frt sway bay - no rear sway bar

OR

Optional competition suspension = 7/8 frt sway bar + 1/2 rear bar

Thank you

Need build date

PS or manual steering

HD suspension or base
Build Date is: 01/05/1972

Power Steering

Mach 1 standard Competition suspension

Standard HD mach 1 suspension 3/4 frt sway bay - no rear sway bar

OR

Optional competition suspension = 7/8 frt sway bar + 1/2 rear bar

Thank you
3/4 front and no rear bar. Thank you for the help

I have some old books / sheets - no verification except for

most of the ones I could cross with Chuck's note were correct.

Couple were not

It says 72 351 2v 63r

with PS 1 gold 1 pink

no p/s 1 gold 1 tan

Sorry no concrete answer

Thank you Don. I could understand the 1 gold 1 pink partially matching my build sheet that has a P for Pink in the second location. Now to figure out the shade of gold used??? If you could let me know what books/sheets you are referring to I amy be able to work through some of the other color codes that I need to obtain.

You have been very helpfull.

Latest posts

Back