front suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Hello guys.

I have a '71 convertible that I am in the process of replacing the front suspension.

I already replaced the Upper control arm, but did not put the spring back in yet.

I am stuck trying to remove the Lower CA. the sway bar link is removed and the ball joint compression fitting is undone.

I cannot remove the strut bar from the LCA.

I removed the nuts from under the LCA, but the bar won't disconnect from the LCA!

Is there a trick to removing the LCA?

Any insight or instructions would be appreciated.

Hello guys.

I have a '71 convertible that I am in the process of replacing the front suspension.

I already replaced the Upper control arm, but did not put the spring back in yet.

I am stuck trying to remove the Lower CA. the sway bar link is removed and the ball joint compression fitting is undone.

I removed the nuts from under the LCA, but the bar won't disconnect from the LCA!

I had to use a BFH ( Big F Hammer) to remove mine.

Hello guys.

I had to use a BFH ( Big F Hammer) to remove mine.
OK, it worked! Got it off.

Anyone know what color the sway bar and thr strut bar supposed to be?

Since I have them out, I'd like to refinish them as they came from the factory.

They are a medium grayish colour, check out 71-73 mustangs on ebay and you will see a bunch done up as factory restos with colour coated markings etc. If I were you I would definately modify the suspension while things are apart, a bigger sway bar and roller perches would help tremendously if you don't mind shying away from a factory restoration.

Mine are a satin black. Pretty sure they haven't been painted because my sway bar still has the yellow paint markings on it.
Thanks for the info.

I found out that the sway bar ia supposed to be semi gloss black and the strut bar is silver metal.

I'll post som pics when I'm done.

Back