Fuel Cell

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
351 4V
Alright, for those out there that have been more performance minded, or even just safety minded, who has installed a fuel cell in their 71-73? What brand, how many gallons did it hold, amount of modification needed, ya'll know the drill :D. Much obliged for the help.

Alright, for those out there that have been more performance minded, or even just safety minded, who has installed a fuel cell in their 71-73? What brand, how many gallons did it hold, amount of modification needed, ya'll know the drill :D. Much obliged for the help.
I have a 20 gallon fuel cell from Jegs in my car. It's an aluminium one with foam in it to keep the sloshing to a minimum. My gas gauge doesn't work because at the time (7 years ago) they did not make a sending unit for it. I have the vent line running though the big hole where the filler neck used to be. The only issue i've had is if the tank is full and I do some high g force action (drag racing, donuts,etc) fuel will come out of the vent line. The cell had to be turned sideways to fit in the trunk, and to clear the hump in the middle of the trunk I made some 3 inch spacers to raise it off the trunck floor. It barely fits.

pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics!!!

:D:cool::D:cool::D

pics pics pics pics pics!

:cool::D

Last edited:
Yes there is a pic in my garage, under modifications. The pic is old and I hadn't added a vent line yet. The sending unit you see on top was from a different cell, tried to retro fit it, didn't work. You can also see the battery box beside the cell in the pic.

Back