fuel tank sending unit voltage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangSally44

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
Queck question. is the voltage at the sending unit reduced? Im getting 4.5v at the sending unit.. Figured it should be 12 but then I remembered my bike guage is reduced to 7v Thanks guys.

Was using my digital multi meter and it was all over the place, so iI might have 5.5v but the meter cant react fast enough to changes in voltage. Thanks Mrgmhale for looking that up. Have a new gremlin now so the fuel float will have to wait till I get the car running.

Was using my digital multi meter and it was all over the place, so iI might have 5.5v but the meter cant react fast enough to changes in voltage. Thanks Mrgmhale for looking that up. Have a new gremlin now so the fuel float will have to wait till I get the car running.
Actually, the digital meters react too fast! You need the old analog Simpson meters to adequately measure the variable voltage that averages to 5.5.V.

I will double check once back at my laptop. But I think you ought to be getting 5.5 volts DC pulsating to the fuel sender. By Sunday afternoon I ought to have the info
Sorry for the delayed followup. Wedding weekend for our son. Lots of family visiting.

Anyway, yes. 5.5 volts pulsating at the fuel sending unit from the Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR).

Back