Got my rebuilt Hurst 4 speed shifter back.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I got the car out of the garage as it's a balmy 45 f and sunny(ish). My plan was just to let it idle and charge the battery plus check the voltage from the new solid state regulator I also just installed, a solid 14V, so I guess that's a job done.

Next while it was idling, I decided to fit the modified and repaired boot. I have a question: on the 71 only, the stick is flat and the boot hole is rectangular and off center. Going back to when I got the car, the hole was set to the left of center, so I assumed that was the way it was supposed to be. Maybe not. In that orientation, the 4 bolt holes are like 1/2" off. With the hole set to the right of center, the bolt holes all but line up with the stick in neutral. So looking at the pictures, what do the more knowledgeable think, to the left of center or to the right?

Also, you will notice I installed a 3/8" thick piece of plastic under the boot, then I put another 1/8" piece above the bolts, then the factory cover plate, all to fill in the huge gap between the mini console and the cover plate. Hope that makes sense?

Let me know guys and thanks.

Geoff.

Looks good!

I would verify that the additional height from the spacer doesn't cause the boot to pull on the shifter too much when you put in gear.

-Matt

Looks good!

I would verify that the additional height from the spacer doesn't cause the boot to pull on the shifter too much when you put in gear.

-Matt
 Thanks for the comment. Actually there seems to be less pull on the shifter due to the taper of the stick. It has not been an issue, but something to keep in mind.

I think I have answered my own question. The slot should be set to the right side, but when it's in reverse it does put more strain on the boot. Why was the slot not centered?

Thoughts?

Geoff.

Geoff-

Pic stolen from the megasite, maybe your boot is different?

I wouldn't over think it. Go with whatever works the best!

-Matt

71 boot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoff-

Pic stolen from the megasite, maybe your boot is different?

I wouldn't over think it. Go with whatever works the best!

-Matt
Interesting! Perhaps some aftermarket company changed it to get around licensing from Ford. I see no reason for the slot to be offset either way as it puts strain on the boot one way or the other. Unfortunately, we have to use what's available.

Thanks for the pic.

Geoff.

I finally made up my mind and installed the boot the way it lined up best to the mounting holes, with the slot to the right. It kind of looks weird this way. but that's that. What I did notice and I hope it won't be an issue, that when in 4th gear, there is quite a pull on the stick. I tried turning the boot around, but it was about the same. With this rebuilt shifter, it is far less tight than it was before so I guess I find out hopefully on the weekend when I MAY be able to get the car out and on the road again, if it will stay in gear.

Geoff.

Back