Got to sell one but which one goes?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul of MO

Reaction score
My Car
71 M Code Convert - Barn find
73 H Code Convert - Field find
73 H code - Latest Project
I have a 4V Cleveland 71 Vert that needs lots of rust repair. It is an M code, C6, working ram air car. Marti Report verifired. The car is together but has not run in 15 years.

The other is a 2V Cleveland 73 Vert that has every option including power windows. Needs trunk and quarter work. Everything else is shockingly rust free. The car is apart but complete.

I have no idea what is the best choice or how rare the 71 really is.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Paul

Well that would depend on your budget/talent to finish the remaining car. Just comparing cars...sounds like the 73 is the keeper. But if the 71 will be a nice car finished and you can "finish" it.... that would be the right direction too. the 73 will be easier to sell due to the small amount of work. But we dont have pic's so I'm just GUESSING.

Post pics....it will be easier to evaluate.

As to rarity, your 1971 M-coded Convertible with the C6 transmission is one of 414.

As to which one of the Convertible to keep, I cannot address as it would depend upon a lot of factors that could go far beyond the information that you have provided.

Good Luck in making your decision.

BT

Hmmm.....

"As to rarity, your 1971 M-coded Convertible with the C6 transmission is one of 414"

I would guess even more rare with functioning ram air. I was not told it had it and found all of the air cleaner and hood flapper parts in the trunk after I got it home. I actually bought it as a parts car for the 73. I figured a complete car would have all the odds and end that will naturally turn up missing on any car thats apart - plus it would be like a full size 3D assymbly manual.

Boxes, rails, inner and outer houses, quarters, floors, trunk floor, on and on and on all needing metal work. Funny the cowl and front inner fenders are good. When you raise it on the lift the top door to quarter gap opens up and only stops when it hangs on the door strikers. I would not want to try to lift it with both doors open.

It really should be done but I can not afford to do both.

Paul

Paul... it seems to be a good thing to do, at least to think o saving the rare 71... I personally think that if a car was not hard hit and badly fixed, it can be easily fixed (i know that nothing is really easy but with easy i mean highly possible to do it right)

It is even clear that yourself prefers to save the 71 and to be honest... if you bought that car because the 73 needed a parts car, then it is obvious that the 73 is not a piece the cake either...

Can i suggest something? Why don't you take an hour and upload pictures of both cars in separate threads to let other very professional and experienced members to leave their opinion having the most accurate info possible... PICS!

You can even get new ideas for saving a car in the best/cheapest way possible..

Another last thing... if i were you i'll look into the smallest details that after all major work, are the ones that really makes the difference... I spent a lot of time and effort in trying to get a set of wheel covers and if it wasn't for the kind of Jim, a member from here.... i wouldn't be able to get them...

Paul you already answered it...

I vote for the less rust.

73 Needs trunk and quarter work. Everything else is shockingly rust free

71 will bend in half - when a vert is that rotted ... once you start taking it apart you will find more rot

If you have to buy all the rails, towers, t-boxes, doors, fenders, it will add up to the value of the 73 you sell off.

Although if you do fix the 71 I have

both front frame rails with towers and t - boxes

right rear rail and t-box vert specific

full vert cut off 1/4s

Don - What is the price on full vert quarters? What all is attached to them? I can drive out and pick them up.

I will get some pictures and submit for everyones opinion.

Thanks to all.

- Paul

Paul you already answered it...

I vote for the less rust.

73 Needs trunk and quarter work. Everything else is shockingly rust free

71 will bend in half - when a vert is that rotted ... once you start taking it apart you will find more rot

If you have to buy all the rails, towers, t-boxes, doors, fenders, it will add up to the value of the 73 you sell off.

Although if you do fix the 71 I have

both front frame rails with towers and t - boxes

right rear rail and t-box vert specific

full vert cut off 1/4s

Hmmm.....

"As to rarity, your 1971 M-coded Convertible with the C6 transmission is one of 414"

I would guess even more rare with functioning ram air. I was not told it had it and found all of the air cleaner and hood flapper parts in the trunk after I got it home. I actually bought it as a parts car for the 73. I figured a complete car would have all the odds and end that will naturally turn up missing on any car thats apart - plus it would be like a full size 3D assymbly manual.

Boxes, rails, inner and outer houses, quarters, floors, trunk floor, on and on and on all needing metal work. Funny the cowl and front inner fenders are good. When you raise it on the lift the top door to quarter gap opens up and only stops when it hangs on the door strikers. I would not want to try to lift it with both doors open.

It really should be done but I can not afford to do both.

Paul
There were 134 Convertibles built with the ram air option in 1971.

BT

Latest posts

Back