Grabber Green 71 mach 1 restomod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the tape line idea! I was kind of wondering how I would handle the paint burning when I weld my top on. I like the idea of leaving a line of weld through primer.

Are you going to try and get inside the finished cowl assembly and seam seal around the perimeter? Is that even possible? I know from the factory they laid down a bead and spot welded the top through the sealer, not sure how to replicate this with plug welds?

1973grandeklar unfortunately ive already drilled all my holes in the upper for my plug welds because my initial idea was to do exactly what you said, lay a small bead of seam.sealer about 1/4 to 1/2 inch inside the perimeter of my welds,lay the upper down on it then set my welder on low heat and burn out as little as possible.i got to thinking today tho. If I had it to do over again I would probably panel glue the upper one on.it would serve as a seam sealer and you really lose no structural stiffness because all that relys on the lower which is welded in.its either 3m or SEM multi purpose panel adhesive that we use. Super strong stuff, insurance companies actually figure it as a proper repair to a newer bedside replacement.I can't tell u how many of those ive glued on

1973grandeklar unfortunately ive already drilled all my holes in the upper for my plug welds because my initial idea was to do exactly what you said, lay a small bead of seam.sealer about 1/4 to 1/2 inch inside the perimeter of my welds,lay the upper down on it then set my welder on low heat and burn out as little as possible.i got to thinking today tho. If I had it to do over again I would probably panel glue the upper one on.it would serve as a seam sealer and you really lose no structural stiffness because all that relys on the lower which is welded in.its either 3m or SEM multi purpose panel adhesive that we use. Super strong stuff, insurance companies actually figure it as a proper repair to a newer bedside replacement.I can't tell u how many of those ive glued on
I think I might try that idea on mine. I am still about 2 - 3 weeks from welding mine on as I need to repair the firewall and the floor pans. I like to do this as it gives me lots of room with the cowl removed. Do you know of a good link for panel adhesive instructions?

Got the upper cowl welded in a bit ago.as i said earlier I ran a bead of seam sealer on the inside perimeter of the cowl then layed it down onto it. Let it dry then plug welded it slowly trying not to burn the seam sealer out.
2iuxs1y.jpg
1zqpiq1.jpg
107we8l.jpg
1973grandeklar pm me and il give you the info on the panel adhesive

Only got a little bit done this evening but im right at a week on the cowl install and I should finish it up in the a.m. Got the pass side cowl to apron brace reinstalled and put a patch in the driverside. Tomorrow ill finish up and move onto the floor pans.
2hwh6s1.jpg
24ev1xi.jpg

Heres a little update on my progress. Got the cowl all tied up other than some filler work on Saturday and got started on the floors. The seat pan and area underneath is in great shape so im just going to patch both fronts and rears.
r73j2x.jpg
jkvqjr.jpg
spcgau.jpg

Ive been itching to make some progress on the build this week but ive been too busy until today. Had a free 12 hours to do some damage:) already had the front floors cut out so I welded in the fronts and got the backs done too.still have some grinding work to finish up but overall happy with the outcome.next will be fixing a few small areas then painting inside.
34j8z93.jpg
16ljm9d.jpg
swph7a.jpg
2n180sx.jpg
had to throw in a pic of my wagon.lol

It is a labor of love, may I ask when you will hit the 20K mark on this rebuild? Beautiful work.

Thanks everyone. The car was fairly complete and I got a great deal on it.I better not have 20k in it.lol im doing everything but some of the mechanical myself which is saving me a ton of money.ill still have alot tied up in New parts though. My goal is $15k once done. I know the shop I work at and mainly any other quality restoration shop would charge around $15k labor to restore it so itll add up quick if you have to pay to have it done.

Heres a little update, sorry its been awhile just been doing things that are very time consuming with little outcome. Anyways the past week I have ground down my spot welds and where I buttwelded the floor pans in.I also like to do a little filler work to doll the job up, most people will never see it but it bothers me.ive finally completed the filler work and all my seam sealer work in the interior.tomorrow I plan to silver por15 the whole inside including the underside of the roof.ill try to post pics of that tomorrow.
2hqdt2o.jpg

Completed 2 coats of Por15 on the interior of the shell. Heres a few pics of the finished product.
95r7kj.jpg
20qhyk3.jpg
15d999x.jpg

Thanks fellas.quarter extensions and replacement of the trunk pan and tailight panel are next. Luckily its the final bit of metal replacement the body needs

Back