Grabber Green 71 mach 1 restomod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quarters are still welded to the outer wheelhouses so they stay in place pretty well.as for the pan I decided to get all the weight off the rear rails to let them hang. Jacked the car up and put stands at the rear half of the pinch welds on the rockers. Then I unbolted the leaf springs from the back of the frame rail so it lets the added weight of the 9inch off. Doing this allows the rails to hang in place without any up or down pressure on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread and very impressive skills for sure. Thanks so much for taking the time to share the progress with us and for taking/posting the pictures and descriptions. Good luck the rest of the way and like may others I look forward to watching it progress.

Woohoooo! Finished the trunk floor for the most part today.still have a few odds and ends but its pretty much ready for dry and wetsand then paint.next step will be the install of the tailight panel then the quarter extensions.first pic is with the filler work and seam sealer around the inner wheelhouse completed. Last 3 are with primer applied
2lu98j9.jpg
33lgs92.jpg
2rmqlp4.jpg
2zpqexf.jpg

What are you going to do about the curved corner ends just above the tail light panel I see you cut yours off and they don't make repros. I think I recall someone trying those of another year to work but I don't know how that worked out. I need to fix/replace mine too.

I got lucky and found a good set on a parts car. Mine were completely gone. That's your only option, like you said there are no repros yet

Dad and I did a quick mockup of the backend tonight to check panel alignment before the tailight panel gets welded in. Here's a few pics
xckxdv.jpg
2db75ub.jpg

Gained some ground this weekend. Got the tailight panel welded in along with both bumper support brackets, latch support and the turndowns that meet the top of the tailight panel. Today i mounted the tailights and drilled my holes for the honeycomb panel then mounted it.Gotta finish up the quarter dropoffs and extensions then I plan to order and fit the wheels in the next few weeks.
17bd4h.jpg
rlkgtj.jpg
214cd1e.jpg
xbwmbl.jpg
23v3ti.jpg
2i7xro2.jpg
3goz.jpg
33ayr7o.jpg

Been awhile since ive updated but ive finally completed the metal work and plan to start my filler work next week. Ordered the wheels the other day so im in the process of fitting them and figuring out what size spacers I need. Once that's sorted out ill order tires.
91b69x.jpg
2metnvm.jpg
4u9enp.jpg

Been awhile since ive updated but ive finally completed the metal work and plan to start my filler work next week. Ordered the wheels the other day so im in the process of fitting them and figuring out what size spacers I need. Once that's sorted out ill order tires.
Looks Great ! I can help with spacers..Looks like your running the same type offset as I am. (Newer mustang wheels) Let me know the offsets & I will get you in the ball park..One thing that is super IMPORTANT ! Your going to need "hub centric spacers" Don't waste your money on regular spacers..Unless you use hub centric you WILL have vibrations. Been there done that. I just had a set made by these guys http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html not cheap but worth every penny. No more vibrations..

They're 17x9 +24 offset front and 18x10 +22 offset rear. Just got (2) 1.25 inch hubcentric spacers in yesterday and gonna try to fit them this morning to see if I can clear the ucas up front. I was thinking a 1inch in rear.

They're 17x9 +24 offset front and 18x10 +22 offset rear. Just got (2) 1.25 inch hubcentric spacers in yesterday and gonna try to fit them this morning to see if I can clear the ucas up front. I was thinking a 1inch in rear.
Yep your in the ball park I ended up with 1-1/8" in the rear 18x9.5 same offset

& 1/2" in the front 18x 8.5 BUT I'm not running stock suspension in the front running street or track coilover conversion & the ssbc front disc conversion

So 1.12 - 1.25 in the rear .5 to .75 in the front depending on disc setup.

Update. The 17x9 +24 fits with a 1.25 inch (+32mm) spacer. Barely clears the uca. 1.25 is a little too extreme for the rear, ive rolled the quarters quite a bit but its still too close for comfort. Im gonna order a 1inch out back and should be good to go.
2u43n29.jpg
2el9ifn.jpg
swqzax.jpg

Just curious are the hub centric spacers you have hub centric to the axle & then the wheel ? Or Just the axle ? I haven't seen any off the shelf spacers that do both which is what you need...Mine had to be custom made to my specs

They're hubcentric to the wheel.its slightly larger diameter to the axle but that's the way the existing wheels are on the car. Guess we'll see if it causes any issues

Is it possible to use a hubcentric ring between the hub and spacer?

Last edited by a moderator:
They're hubcentric to the wheel.its slightly larger diameter to the axle but that's the way the existing wheels are on the car. Guess we'll see if it causes any issues

Is it possible to use a hubcentric ring between the hub and spacer?
Right..I guess you will find out.. but what you have still relies on the lugs to center the wheel to the axle..if you get any vibrations in the 50-75 mph range 99% of the time thats the problem..The ones I have center the spacer to the axle then center the wheel to the spacer so basically the center bore of the spacer is sized to the axle hub then there's a machined lip (part of the spacer) the size of the wheel bore. I guess you could look for or have made a ring for the spacer to axle..check with the guys I gave the link for they will make anything you want.

Back