Happy to be a New Member

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMT

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach-1 Sportsroof (1970, 351C-4V M-Code Motor, 4-Speed Toploader)
I'm a new member to this forum, having just purchased my first big nose Mustang a few months ago from a gentleman in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Its a 73 Mach-1 Sportsroof, 351C-4V, 4-speed in Blue Glow paint. According to the Marti Report that I purchased it was originally a Q-Code but the previous owner had replaced the motor with a 1970 351-C-4V M-Code many years ago. So there's no chance of ever having it be a numbers matching car. But that M-Code motor has the high (11.0 to 1) compression, closed combustion "quench" chamber 4V heads so it does run well and for that I am very pleased. The previous owner installed an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake manifold along with a Holley 4160 (750 cfm) carburetor. It has the stock exhaust manifolds and turbo mufflers and it sounds quite good. there is absolutety no rust on the car anywhere but the drivers side floor pan was replaced at some point. The paint is still in good condition, having been repainted at some point in its life but it does have its share of minor nicks and scratches so I plan on having it repainted over the upcoming winter. So far I have installed a new clutch, pressure plate, and 164 tooth flywheel along with a new power steering pump, several brake lines that looked questionable, and all of the rear taillight sockets. I am now planning installing a better performing cam like the Comp XE284H which I've read good things about and Hooker Long Tube Super Comp headers. If anyone has any recommendations, experience, or suggestions on this cam and header combination, I would greatly appreciate the input as I'm not sure if the headers will fit properly. I also want to replace the stock 14" Magum wheels and 225/60R14 tires with 15" rims and larger (295 rear/245 front) tires by next spring. I'm glad to be a member and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the forum.

883749_559941160692750_1894787369_o.jpg

83007251_3014979631855545_6564510315369725952_o.jpg

Do you have power steering?  Many of the headers available are not compatible with power steering.  I have PS on my 72 Mach 1 and I used Sanderson Headers that are compatible with PS.  

Yes, I do have power steering on my Mach-1. According to the Hooker website and Summit Racing's website these will fit but I was hoping someone out there could confirm that before I purchase them. Nice stang by the way. That's pretty sharp! I need to reupholster my interior also. Both front seats are torn and my drivers side armrest is badly damaged.

Thank you for the welcome.

Does it matter that my 351C-4V motor is an early 1970 M-Code (11.0 compression). Would it still be too much cam? Richard Holdener who seems to be quite an expert on small blocks (Chevys, Mopars, Fords, and his favorite is the Ford 351C) has a bunch of YouTube videos where he installed this cam in a pretty much stock 351C-4V M-Code with the same compression and closed chamber 4V (quenching) heads and produced 450 HP and 491 Lbs/Ft. of torque. Although those numbers were achieved well above the 5200 RPM mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from west Michigan!

What do you plan to do with the car? Race, cruise, road trips? That should affect the decisions you make regarding engine modifications. What rear gear is in the car. Don't get carried away and take the fun out of driving.

Back