Harness in bad condition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 CJ all matching numbers, under restoration.
73 Ford Mustang Sprint from Mexico.
Hello my friends,

A mess, yes it's a mess. And what I hate is when someone cut wires on original harness. I would like to clear things but first I need to know what is what.

This one is ok but not connected to anything, with 12V after contact.

SAM_3362.JPG

This one not connected with broken wires. I guess was for radio with 12V permanent?

SAM_3363.JPG

Those 2 with no power at all, left into the glove box.

SAM_3364.JPG

Look at this!!!

SAM_3365.JPG

I had a look to the '73 wire diagram, but for me it's like chinese.

Thanks for your help,

Manu

Last edited by a moderator:
First picture is radio power/light. Second picture I believe is the clock. Third picture are air conditioning connectors, which I believe were part of every harness regardless of whether you had A/C or not. The fourth picture is why I have my business.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking that Midlife was the first to answer :)

So my question:

Could I use the radio/power light connector to supply my 3 gauges? Cause I check the power on this one and I found something like 11.80 volts.

Was not a clock on my car, but the harness was probably the same in every cars, like with ac or non ac, as you mentioned.

On the second picture, they cut the wires (12 V permanent) to connect the radio, so yes it could be for the clock, and was probably unused on my car.

It's a little bit more clear, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't use the radio/light plug to power the 3 gauges, as two of the gauges need voltage reduced by the constant voltage regulator on the back of the dash cluster. 11.80 volts is not unusual at idle or with the engine off.

Save yourself trouble and send the harness out to mid life. Takes care off all the confusion in it. I will be doing that shortly for my project!

Mine looks even worse. I'm considering just going to a '67/'68 harness. It may be more work at first but how different can it really be. Besides, I'm going with aftermarket gauges and stereo anyways. And if I ever have any issues again, everyone makes a kit for a '67/'68.

Mine looks even worse. I'm considering just going to a '67/'68 harness. It may be more work at first but how different can it really be. Besides, I'm going with aftermarket gauges and stereo anyways. And if I ever have any issues again, everyone makes a kit for a '67/'68.
They're pretty radically different. You'd do better to use the generic muscle car harness from painless. Maybe the 70 harness would be "closer" but you're still going to have to splice and route like mad. Cheaper and faster to send your harness to Midlife for a refresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back