Head identification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've hear a number of reports that the molasses soak does not affect paint, but my personal experience is that it most certainly softens the paint. I have cleaned hundreds of parts in my 55 gallon drum. I will typically powerwash the parts before and then do it again after. I can't count how many times the paint survived the first powerwash but blows right off after a 1-2 week soak in the tank.

I'm not posting this to start controversy, I want folks to be aware that for at least one user of molasses, there is a high risk for damage to paint. I'm going to empty the tank this morning...if I see a good candidate, I'll take some pictures or video.

Here's a link to the thread I did on this back in Oct '15.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-molasses-to-remove-rust

Just be warned. I set up my tank in the basement and put some rubber seal around the top so the lid would be air tight. Be prepared when you open it. You will have to skim off the scum and it will stink badly. My wife was not happy.
I can totally relate to this.... Last night, I announced that I intended to empty the molasses tank tomorrow...."the boss" said to make sure she was nowhere in the area when I did it. lol

I learned the hard way that gloves are a must....I carried that funk around with me for a couple of days after the first time I work with the stuff.

I've hear a number of reports that the molasses soak does not affect paint, but my personal experience is that it most certainly softens the paint. I have cleaned hundreds of parts in my 55 gallon drum. I will typically powerwash the parts before and then do it again after. I can't count how many times the paint survived the first powerwash but blows right off after a 1-2 week soak in the tank.

I'm not posting this to start controversy, I want folks to be aware that for at least one user of molasses, there is a high risk for damage to paint. I'm going to empty the tank this morning...if I see a good candidate, I'll take some pictures or video.

Here's a link to the thread I did on this back in Oct '15.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-molasses-to-remove-rust
No controversy, yes very true about the paint. I could have expressed that better. What I meant was that it won't remove old paint like a paint stripper would. I was not suggesting that one could drop a block in that was painted and it come out still looking the same minus the rust. Actually I would clean off any paint and grease before ever starting the dunk tank up. That way, any hidden rust will be removed.

Good follow up and videos my friend.

Back