Header/ Exhaust Review

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
Hi!

There aren't a crazy amount of header/exhaust options for our cars, so I thought I'd post a quick blurb about what I did over the Winter.

The setup below was install on my car: 1973 Mustang Convertible, 351C 4V, P/S, A/C, 4 Speed, Competition Suspension

1. Headers: I used this set. These things are a work of art! Very well made and they installed with A/C, P/S and the 4 speed. It took me much longer to remove the exhaust manifolds than to install these headers. Excellent quality and worth the money (though they are pricey!). They came with all hardware. Note: The headers touch the rubber boot on the clutch fork (right word?) slightly. It's not an issue and I suspect that corner of the boot will wear off. You could get creative with header wrap if you wanted to, but the headers are ceramic coated and run pretty cool.

2. Exhaust: I used this set. Tough to beat for the price. BUT it doesn't work with competition suspension (staggered shocks). I wanted mandrel bent so I bought it anyway and had a local shop install. He said the fitment was just "ok" and he had to modify a lot of the parts to make it work. So I lost some of the mandrel bending. In hindsight, I should've just had him bend a 2.5" exhaust and be done with it. The kit does not have an H pipe and I didn't think to ask him to cut one in. I'll probably have that done at some point.

The car runs great and sounds great! Note: It's definitely LOUD when you get on it. So much so that I'm considering putting resonators somewhere, but I'll figure that out later. It's not bad at idle. I may cut the tail pipes off and install some turn downs. We'll see . . .

I have an AFR meter so I retuned the Edelbrock 650 CFM AVS2 carb (the new headers seemed to have leaned things out). I richened up the primary rods a bit and the idle air screws and that got me to where I needed to be. The car runs and sounds great. I'm not going to dyno tune it, but it definitely feels faster across the board.

I'm happy with how it turned out, especially since quality headers and 2.5" exhausts are not too plentiful for these cars with my configuration.

It took a moment for me to figure out to click on the word 'this' to get the links. I considered the FPA headers when I replaced my super comps but ended up going with the Hookers. I forget why. LOL. Did the kit for the exhaust have any issues with the torque plate that is unique to our convertibles? Are the tubes run above or below the plates?

I am happy that you are happy with them. Nothing wrong with LOUD when you get on it as long as it isn't obnoxious when you are cruising. Keep in mind we hear a bit more in our convertibles.

The pipes are above the plate. I'm not sure how well the kit fit there as the installer said he had to modify in certain spots. I'm not sure if that was one of the spots . . .

Try installing a crossover pipe. It will mellow it out a bit and produce a tick more low speed torque. Chuck

Try installing a crossover pipe. It will mellow it out a bit and produce a tick more low speed torque. Chuck
We did an X-Pipe to mellow out our previously raspy, harsh exhaust sound. Allegedly it does more to soften a grown than an H Pipe. Enginemasters did an H-Pipe vs X-Pipe episode a while ago:

It sems to me, that between various header manufacturers, the Ford Powertrain Associates 351c headers are offering the best ground clearance of the lot for street cars. Cars set up for drag racing seem to not have as many issues. Hooker "Comps", as opposed to their "Super Comps" seem to come in next for good clearance. This opininon is just from what I've read on the boards. I built a 351c 4v for a customer's '70 convertible, and he used the FPA headers, and I was amazed at how much ground clearance that car had. Way back about "91, I bought a brand new set of unknown make headers at a swap meet, ( I know, what a stupid move ), and bolted them on my Mach. I crushed them badly within a week after, on a grocery store parking lot speed bump. Maybe they were for a different chassis application, I don't know, ( no documentation from the swap meet vendor ) but I swore I'd never run headers again. Backing over the apex of a boat launch ramp, or driving up over the apex of underground parking necessitates some under car ground clearance, that I'm not sure I'll ever get with headers.

Last edited:
Back