Headlight conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much has been written on this. Lots of links posted.
When I did the upgrade to my car, I found a small problem that I was able to "fix" due to my past experience with vacuum forming. The conversion I chose used Hella lamps combined with Sealight H4 LED's.
CREDIT NOTE: Big Red Mach 1 (Chris) gave me this idea originally, I just expanded on it.

Here are a couple of posts from myself.

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/stanglovers-led-headlight-upgrade.42169/

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/led-headlight-conversion-with-direct-fit-water-shields.44079/

Last edited:
I guess those bulbs are not there now. Do you have a recommendation for another bulb?
See my posts. I'm very happy with the Sealight bulbs. There are many types listed but pay attention to the size of the base and the H4 fitting (which ought to be the same but may not be)
Warning! Do NOT get ones that are too bright. May be good for you, but not other drivers and may be illegal where you live.

Last edited:
I'm interested in making this conversion. I already have the housings and halogen bulbs, but find them quite poor in comparison to modern lights. I installed these back in the late 80's and the improvement was quite dramatic....now they seem dangerous! haha I'm sure it's not my age or my eyesight ;)

If anyone has measured the amperage draw, I'd like to know that so I can compare to the draw of the halogen lights.

Also,, the PN of the bulb that is recommended. I've searched on H4/9003 HB2 and get dozens of hits under the Sealight name.....and they all list them as fog lights....which has me confused.

I'm interested in making this conversion. I already have the housings and halogen bulbs, but find them quite poor in comparison to modern lights. I installed these back in the late 80's and the improvement was quite dramatic....now they seem dangerous! haha I'm sure it's not my age or my eyesight ;)

If anyone has measured the amperage draw, I'd like to know that so I can compare to the draw of the halogen lights.

Also,, the PN of the bulb that is recommended. I've searched on H4/9003 HB2 and get dozens of hits under the Sealight name.....and they all list them as fog lights....which has me confused.
Let me take a look for the part number I bought. They are confusing for sure.

Here is a copy of my PFD, also in one of the links posted.
The bulbs I used (if still available) are the X1 type. They need to be high/low. Mine are 6000K and 24000 lumens (need to do an update on PDF!!). Bright but not blinding. If I find the pics, I'll post them.
I also installed relays so draw is no longer a problem. That is in the PFD as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071R3KTBB/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• LED Conversion update.pdf
    994.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210826_211103 (2).jpg
    20210826_211103 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210826_211126 (2).jpg
    20210826_211126 (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back