Headlights Issue - '71 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckmartins

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande - 302, Automatic
Greetings!

When I decided to get a car to work on, I picked up a 1971 Grande, which was doing fantastic for a while. Unfortunately, out-of-the-blue, my headlights stopped working. Both high and low beams, entirely. My parking lights and tail-lights both work fine however. Now, I'm not the world's greatest electrician, but my google-fu has been found lacking. I have a multimeter, and have been attempting to find out anything that is going on with the headlights, but I'm not entirely sure what to do. I've discovered that flickering headlights are a common issue, but mine merely will not turn on. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong? I have not replaced the light switch or the dimmer switch as of yet. I can see the ground for the headlights and it looks fine, but how would I test to see if it is no longer grounded?

Thanks!

I see this is your first post so welcome to the site. Please post an introduction thread.

The common problem with the headlights on our cars is the headlight switch. Some other members may have some other possibilities also.

Your dimmer switch may be bad as well. You can remove the connector to the dimmer switch. The middle (red/orange) wire is the power from the headlight switch. That should be 12V when the headlight switch is pulled out. If it is, chances are the dimmer switch is bad. If no voltage, the headlight switch is bad.

do the running lights come on when you turn the headlights switch on. if you pull it to the first click the running lights come on. second click headlights.

if the running lights come on then the overload fuse in the headlights switch might of blown out from age. you will need a replacement switch.

Do the interior dash lights dim and get bright when you turn the knob, if you lock it to the right does the dome light turn on with the doors closed. again would point to the switch and not a ground problem.

I have had the high/low beam floor switch being flaky cause that...

Thanks midlife! I was able to use this to determine that the issue was the headlight dimmer switch was bad. I disassembled and cleaned the dimmer switch to make sure, and now the lights work! Now to just wait for a replacement switch to come in the mail!

Your dimmer switch may be bad as well. You can remove the connector to the dimmer switch. The middle (red/orange) wire is the power from the headlight switch. That should be 12V when the headlight switch is pulled out. If it is, chances are the dimmer switch is bad. If no voltage, the headlight switch is bad.

Back