Hello from Japan!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK! I really need to post some pictures of my '73, but I'm almost embarrassed! It needs a little work, but the body looks really good. I don't want you guys to think that I'm spoiled!

Well, here she is!!!

incsbm.jpg
Jeff, I don't think either of us should be thinking about S550's! ;)

-Kurt

Jeff, I don't think either of us should be thinking about S550's! ;)

-Kurt
Hahaha! Yeah! Probably not, huh?

Still need a daily driver when I come back though...

I'm so tempted to get a S550, but waiting for the first refresh doesn't seem like a terrible idea...

I'll probably be hooked when I see it in person though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha! Yeah! Probably not, huh?

Still need a daily driver when I come back though...

I'm so tempted to get a S550, but waiting for the first refresh doesn't seem like a terrible idea...

I'll probably be hooked when I see it in person though!
I'm not convinced that the first refresh of the S550 will be in its favor. Even the S197 - IMHO - looks best in its original 2005-2009 design. The chunky, open front end may not be the most aggressive, but it is very cohesive with the design and styling heritage.

Same applies to the back end, even though the design is WAY too heavy for its own good. Saleen's tunnelback rear end improves on this, but at the expense of adding too much length and bulk to the lower valance.

I didn't particularly care for tapering rear end on the 2010-2012's when they came out, but it did take some of the bulk off, stylistically. I started to accept the redesign until someone in the styling department ruined it in 2013 by sharpening the corners of the taper and putting center blackout trim in that area - effectively making a huge U shape in the middle of the car (making it look taller and bulkier than the 2005!)

While the S550 will probably be best 3 years into its run - more than enough time to get the kinks out - you'd probably be best off waiting for the '16s. Improved engineering (we hope!), lower dealer sticker price.

-Kurt

I'm not convinced that the first refresh of the S550 will be in its favor. Even the S197 - IMHO - looks best in its original 2005-2009 design. The chunky, open front end may not be the most aggressive, but it is very cohesive with the design and styling heritage.

Same applies to the back end, even though the design is WAY too heavy for its own good. Saleen's tunnelback rear end improves on this, but at the expense of adding too much length and bulk to the lower valance.

I didn't particularly care for tapering rear end on the 2010-2012's when they came out, but it did take some of the bulk off, stylistically. I started to accept the redesign until someone in the styling department ruined it in 2013 by sharpening the corners of the taper and putting center blackout trim in that area - effectively making a huge U shape in the middle of the car (making it look taller and bulkier than the 2005!)

While the S550 will probably be best 3 years into its run - more than enough time to get the kinks out - you'd probably be best off waiting for the '16s. Improved engineering (we hope!), lower dealer sticker price.

-Kurt
Interesting! Actually, I totally agree that the 2005-2009 is the most traditional looking version of the S197. I really wanted one, especially when the Bullitt version came out. I still kinda want a Bullitt.

Official 2011-2012 Ford Japan Mustangs with the 5 liter had no available options and only 3 color choices, but they did come very well equipped. They all have HID headlights though... I pulled those guys off and replaced them with OEM halogens to make my 2011 look more like a 2005-2009! That front end has really grown on me though!

My dealer got a 2013 a few weeks ago (finally!) and I agree that it looks a lot bulkier than even the 2011-2012 models. I do like the taillights better though!

Still not sure what I'll do about the S550. I need a car when I get back and I do really like the S550. Can't drive the '73 everyday! I suppose I could wait for the 2016 model and think that would be a good idea. However, I think it's going to take some willpower to resist that long once I see them driving around!

There were rumors of a 2016 Mach 1. Now that's something I would wait for if there was some solid evidence!

That front end has really grown on me though!
That it should - the 2011/12 front end is essentially straight off the 2005 concept from which it is based:

2005concept.jpg

Interesting! Actually, I totally agree that the 2005-2009 is the most traditional looking version of the S197. I really wanted one, especially when the Bullitt version came out. I still kinda want a Bullitt.
There is a 2008-9 Bullitt not more than a mile from me; belongs to someone in an apartment complex. Truth be told, I can't stop looking at it myself (though I think Ford's grill insert leaves just a bit to be desired - the lack of trim at the top gives it an underbite).

Funny thing is, there isn't any parking at the apartment, so the car gets parked on the road a block in any direction; pretty much the same as in the '68 film.

I'm biased, but I'd dig up a basic '71-73 302 coupe and run it as a daily driver. Forget all about the S197's ;)

-Kurt

I'm biased, but I'd dig up a basic '71-73 302 coupe and run it as a daily driver. Forget all about the S197's ;)

-Kurt
Hahaha!!! You don't live in Michigan though! I haven't seen a winter there in a while, but I have fond memories of mountains of snow!

Hahaha!!! You don't live in Michigan though! I haven't seen a winter there in a while, but I have fond memories of mountains of snow!
Aha. That does make a difference...for the car.

My '72 relic has memories that have stayed with it right to the frame :s

-Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back