Her 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remembered with the rear defrost IF THEY ARE still there

Plastic wire covers on the inside of the back window glass heater wires... FRAGILE.... RARE... DON'T lose or break them

Buck tag found!

I didn't know what a buck tag was until this morning. I saw them referenced before and decided to search this forum to find out "what is a buck tag".

So I went out into the shop with a flashlight. I looked behind the drivers side headlight brackets and didn't see it, but my wife saw it and called me over to have a look. Sure enough there it was behind the drivers side headlight brackets.

Brett

2F05F214### 63R 30E 493

4C PB GR

ST QM CS BTRAC

BO FDS

J1 (light stamp so not sure) 8-2 (rotated 90 deg. to the right)

Did a search and haven't yet determined: ST, QM, FDS. For the "J1" stamp, I'm not even sure that is what it is, it is too light to be sure.

Brett

2F05F214###        63R        30E        493

4C      PB      GR

ST      QM      CS        BTRAC

BO        FDS

J1 (light stamp so not sure)          8-2 (rotated 90 deg. to the right)

Did a search and haven't yet determined: ST, QM, FDS. For the "J1" stamp, I'm not even sure that is what it is, it is too light  to be sure.

Brett
Probable correlation:

QM = quarter moldings

ST = Stereo tape?

FDS = fold down seat

4C      PB      GR

BO        FDS

Did a search and haven't yet determined: ST, QM, FDS. For the "J1" stamp, I'm not even sure that is what it is, it is too light  to be sure.

Brett
Probable correlation:

QM = quarter moldings

ST = Stereo tape?

FDS = fold down seat
Ahhh, thanks! Marti report states AM radio/ 8 track, yes it has fold down seat.

Not sure on quarter moldings. If that references the molding above the argent silver lower body accent paint, as I couldn't detect any bondo squeeze out of filled holes by looking inside of drivers door. The rear quarters have too much "attempt at bodywork" by previous owner to tell if it had the lower body molding.

Brett

I've read that BTRAC means; basic trim rings and caps (includes sport mirrors). According to the Marti report for this Mach 1 it came with 15" Magnum 500's. So maybe the trim ring/caps doesn't mean that (?). It does have sport mirrors though.

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that BTRAC means; basic trim rings and caps (includes sport mirrors). According to the Marti report for this Mach 1 it came with 15" Magnum 500's. So maybe the trim ring/caps doesn't mean that (?).  It does have sport mirrors though.

Brett
BTRAC is the racing mirror option, part of the Mach1 package. Important as the doors needed to have the holes drilled and threaded inserts in place.

Ford Buck Tag Codes-V1.pdf

Attachments

• Ford Buck Tag Codes-V1.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 11
ST... was it originally a 302 - 3 speed manual

Thanks! That is how it was from the factory. I'm very familiar (don't claim expert status) with Camaro's with their trim tags and protec-to plates but an ignorant wretch when it comes to Ford and Mustangs. So all this is great brain food!

Disassembly continues, albeit slowly due to documentation. Between pictures, bagging, tagging and labeling it is an excercise in automotive archelogical forensics!

I fear December. So much careful removal of parts to do and yet I initially felt with the stripped interior when we began, was a good head start. I no longer think that. We aren't feeling overwhelmed, but a sense of determination of rolling up our sleeves and getting to it has begun to take over.

Brett

4C      PB      GR

BO        FDS

Brett
Probable correlation:

QM = quarter moldings

ST = Stereo tape?

FDS = fold down seat
Ahhh, thanks! Marti report states AM radio/ 8 track, yes it has fold down seat.

Not sure on quarter moldings. If that references the molding above the argent silver lower body accent paint, as I couldn't detect any bondo squeeze out of filled holes by looking inside of drivers door. The rear quarters have too much "attempt at bodywork" by previous owner to tell if it had the lower body molding.

Brett
Not sure about QM. My 71 has RM which is rocker moldings and has the rivets for it. Mine also has a protection package which I presume is the door ding things that run down the body line (same rivets as rocker molding....do not like).

4C      PB      GR

BO        FDS

Brett
This spreadsheet should help you with code numbers

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ford-code-numbers?pid=347340#pid347340

Thanks Don!! I followed the discussion on the QM and BO codes in your link. We'll see for sure when the car gets stripped if there is evidence of side molding. I looked inside the drivers door (original door) at the back of the door skin and see no evidence of holes. This is of course if I'm understanding the discussion on the QM code correctly.

As for the BO discussion I'm not sure I follow correctly or rather don't comprehend. As someone suggested to my understanding; the lower body paint on the rockers would be black. The Mach 1 here is most definitely originally "argent" on the rocker panels. But there is the black out treatment on the tail panel next to the inboard side of the tail light openings. My understanding of that is that is for the "blending" in color between the honeycomb panel and tail lights for the Mach 1.

Is there a code for the side striping (hockey stick) or did it follow the rear spoiler installation? I had a recent conversation with a friend who has restored many Mustangs, only a few of the 71-73 vintage. He had asked me if our car had the body side molding down by the rockers. I said no, because I hadn't seen any evidence from looking at the back of the drivers door skin. He then said that we wouldn't have had the hockey stick stripe then. Reading through the buck tag spreadsheet would contradict what he said,as V3 QM says; Quarter molding (Decor group moldings above rocker panel, not available with side stripes, mach 1 or Boss 351).

Off topic, but my friend of many years, who has restored many (over 100) Mustangs has a quirky personal trademark; he always paints the front coil springs Ford engine blue. He has several of his Mustangs in several countries across the globe. It's a small world sometimes and Mustang's make it smaller. Nothing to do with this topic, just a passing sense of nostalgia and wishing my friend Mike lived closer to give me hand. Almost 30 years have passed since we fixed airplanes together and teased each other; Ford vs Chevy. But it does not matter how much time passes between phone calls we can "gear up" like it was last week since we talked. Sorry for the ramble, time for bed.

Brett

I had a recent conversation with a friend who has restored many Mustangs, only a few of the 71-73 vintage. He had asked me if our car had the body side molding down by the rockers. I said no, because I hadn't seen any evidence from looking at the back of the drivers door skin. He then said that we wouldn't have had the hockey stick stripe then. Reading through the buck tag spreadsheet would contradict what he said,as V3 QM says; Quarter molding (Decor group moldings above rocker panel, not available with side stripes, mach 1 or Boss 351).

It wouldn't be the first time an experienced restorer was wrong. 71-72 Machs received the lower body bright trim as part of the base package. When the optional stripes were ordered from the factory, it deleted the bright trim and associated studs and fastener holes. Many dealers would apply the stripes as an addendum, or by customer request, just like the rear spoilers and the B351-only front spoiler.

I had a recent conversation with a friend who has restored many Mustangs, only a few of the 71-73 vintage. He had asked me if our car had the body side molding down by the rockers. I said no, because I hadn't seen any evidence from looking at the back of the drivers door skin. He then said that we wouldn't have had the hockey stick stripe then. Reading through the buck tag spreadsheet would contradict what he said,as V3 QM says; Quarter molding (Decor group moldings above rocker panel, not available with side stripes, mach 1 or Boss 351).

It wouldn't be the first time an experienced restorer was wrong. 71-72 Machs received the lower body bright trim as part of the base package. When the optional stripes were ordered from the factory, it deleted the bright trim and associated studs and fastener holes. Many dealers would apply the stripes as an addendum, or by customer request, just like the rear spoilers and the B351-only front spoiler.
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks!

Dig into the pass side quarter / jamb area ... it is all mudded over something is hiding under there

It should have the exposed seam like the drivers side

Dig into the pass side quarter / jamb area ... it is all mudded over something is hiding under there

It should have the exposed seam like the drivers side

Hmmmm. Good catch! Took me a bit of looking at both pics to catch your meaning. Lots of mud down low on the outer skin of the passenger rear 1/4, that I did know, but did not notice the door jamb area.

Kinda like that time I bought a 66 El Camino and after getting it home, an unfamiliar seam turned out to be a "clipped" cab corner. That turned into a $1500 set of Corvette Rally wheels (what I kept from that project and what I lost when I sold). P.O. was a sly one. I vowed to never stray from 1st gen Camaro's after that, because I know every seam, curve and bend of those bodies like it was my own skin. But this is different. It's for my wife. We fix what we find. No turning back. She. Will. Have. Her. Mach 1 to drive. Someday.

later gator(s)

Brett

Back