Her 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brett was the glass riveted in ?  If so the glass and mounting plate ... possibly door are 1973

I have all the mounting parts to make it the 71-2 style bolt in studs VS 73 rivets if you need it

Yes it was riveted. Yes we will need 71-72 style hardware. 

I need to make an official shopping list with you. The list is almost too long to recall it all from just memory. 

Thanks

Here is a picture of the bottom side of the hood that is currently on my wife's Mach 1. It is not the original hood and I think it is a NOS hood and not a reproduction. Previous owner had a battery "mishap". No other major internal corrosion between skin layers. Hope we can save this hood.

Have an opportunity to purchase a used hood. The owner opted for a new hood as there is rust between the skin layers. Distance and transportation are major concerns as to buy it or not. Right now I'm in the no buy category.

What do the forum members think??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Brett,

[Right now I'm in the no buy category. What do the forum members think??]

My 71 hood was in poor condition in and out, similar to what I see and was having damage on the driver side too.

Its lots of work if you want get it back in good looking solid state, have the rust removed and stopped. If this hood is OEM, the good news is that the top sheet is thicker than the plenum beneath and you still could save it (assuming it spent most of its life closed on the car).

On mine and most corroded ones I've seen over the years, the most of destructive rust is in the latch hole region. There is a double plate behind acting as reinforcement, but you can expect some welding work there and probably on the front as well. The most demanding was to get rid of the rust inside. You can see how I did mine in my rebuild thread. In that regard, as its really beyond por15 or similar chemicals that would only hide and isolate the misery, if you do not have the space for that kind of "water fun", I'd say if there's a company not too far away from you, let it be dipped there, its worth every penny!

Mach 1 Parts Adventure begins in one hour! A road trip with my wife, kids and dogs to gather parts that we will (eventually) need for my wife's Mustang. I am looking forward to spending time with my family on the road. I am sure there will be stories to add to the restoration story of "Her 72 Mach 1". Family road trips are always an adventure for us. I will be sure to include pictures when I return to 7173mustangs.com. As well as the telling of tales (tall and short).

A 960 mile round trip in 39 hours was made this last weekend. Which is epic for our family with two kids 5&3 and two dogs.  It took two weeks to put the trip together and of course we left an hour late and had to make many stops along the way and arrived only two hours behind schedule.

We are far off time wise in needing many of the parts we bought, but they are from a 12k mile Mach 1.

I look at craigslist frequently looking for parts and cars within driving distance and sometimes in towns where I know someone. I found a pile of parts for my wife's Mach 1 for sale by someone who did a color change. As luck would have it he was getting rid of all the GREEN stuff.

The seller was a private type of individual so I couldn't take pictures of his almost finished Mach 1 and of his "shop". Put it this way HE was literally ELVIS with a full on stage in his shop with lights and instruments and gear. He is retired from his Hound doggin' and Jail house rockin' days. But he did open for the Beach Boys and Chubby Checker some years ago. He also toured England and performed  several sold out shows a couple of decades ago. Even had a hit single in the UK. Quite the character, I enjoyed meeting him and his wife. I only wish I could have spent more time than I did with a fellow car enthusiast.

Along with many of the green interior pieces we scored. The seller went to a chrome front bumper. So we were fortunate to find in excellent condition, still in the original paint, a .....urethane "bumper"!

We also bought his seat upholstery. I was going to pass and order material from SMS, but we struck a deal I couldn't pass on and besides seeing the seat upholstery in person, I was impressed with its condition.

The back of the suburban was packed with just enough room for my 12 year old lab to lay down.

A side trip to the parts trip was a visit to see my former boss, who retired 3 years ago. He has owned a 1966 Shelby GT 350 Mustang since 1976. He bought it back then for $800 and performed a complete restoration. I saw pictures and heard stories over the years, but never seen it in person. Yes, my boss lives and worked in a different city than I do and so does my new boss. I have a great job!

I may not have been a Mustang guy all these years, but I am a car guy first and foremost and think my former boss's Shelby is awesome!

I've seen the posts by the guy you bought the parts from. Pretty surprised he's taking that car so far from original, given it's a 72 R-code and a fairly special one at that.

I've seen the posts by the guy you bought the parts from. Pretty surprised he's taking that car so far from original, given it's a 72 R-code and a fairly special one at that.
You know the car. I personally wouldn't have strayed from how it was originally built. For me coming from my personal knowledge of all things Camaro, I was surprised that a person in possession of something special like it would customize it to his personal tastes. To each his own. I guess.

Curious to know (if you don’t mind) the price of that very nice urethane bumper. Looks like all the parts are mint. Congrats
Disclaimer: I'm new to restoring Mustangs, so I had a hard time with coming up with an offer.

I've seen some for sale and at the time that I was talking to the seller, the number that popped in my head for one that needed to be restored was 300.  I got excited when I saw a picture of it and mentally compared it to the one we have. I may have overpaid but to me this green one (still original paint) was worth the 500 that I offered. He accepted and we are happy with it as it is in far better shape than the one we have, hopefully our painter agrees.

This is the same one mentioned on the R code thread I bumped the other day!   Hemi- if ya don't mind go there and add a litle of what you know about it.  Rare indeed.

Thanks,  Ray

Curious to know (if you don’t mind) the price of that very nice urethane bumper. Looks like all the parts are mint. Congrats
Disclaimer: I'm new to restoring Mustangs, so I had a hard time with coming up with an offer.

I've seen some for sale and at the time that I was talking to the seller, the number that popped in my head for one that needed to be restored was 300.  I got excited when I saw a picture of it and mentally compared it to the one we have. I may have overpaid but to me this green one (still original paint) was worth the 500 that I offered. He accepted and we are happy with it as it is in far better shape than the one we have, hopefully our painter agrees.
I think you did good on that purchase.  :bravo:

This is the same one mentioned on the R code thread I bumped the other day!   Hemi- if ya don't mind go there and add a litle of what you know about it.  Rare indeed.

Thanks,  Ray
Ray,

He's posted mostly on the FB pages, name he goes by is Davidjesse Moore. I'll add some of the pics he posted and such, need to search back through his posts. From what I read, it was a very highly optioned R-code Mach with under 13K miles. The original owner was an executive with an auto supply company or something. I'll post to that thread. 

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-r-code-sportsroof-how-many-are-left-any-owners-on-the-forum?pid=357046#pid357046

Just looked up the part number of the exhaust tips: D1ZA-5203-AB. Found some interesting info on the 429mustangcougarinfo site.

Both tips have that part number. Are they really worth as much as I saw someone asking for them (650)? If so, that is crazy. Are they stainless?

That was cheap for that bumper

That was cheap for that bumper
Coming from you that means a lot. I could've had a carb and intake for cheap as well (150 and 200 respectively) , but for those parts I had a little more knowledge of their value. I felt that I could not take advantage of the sellers lack of knowledge on the value of the carb and intake, so when I was offered those parts at those prices, I informed him that they were worth far more than those prices. I suspect I was right in that regard, for I imagine an original carb/intake combo for a 72 351HO is worth far more than 350. A little voice in my head afterwords was saying "you coulda made a few bucks, dummy." But I've never lived my life that way and I sleep well at night. The previous couple of sentences almost sound hypocritical when I read them considering I now know I got the bumper cheap. But I honestly thought 500 was on the high side.

Back