History of the Wheel?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
I have noticed that many of our Mustangs have similar wheels.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the history of these wheels? Did they come standard or were they just popular?

Mine are 14" front and 15" rear.

The Coupe has 60's an 50' while the Mach 1 has 70's

I want to bring them into this century and powder coat them but I would love to know more about their history.

9h0srb.jpg

A wheel a little bit like that was used on the 73 Mach 1. The wheel looks like it could be an old "ET" aluminum wheel. Yes, they were popular in the 70s and into the 80s. Chuck

I would say it's an ET wheel, the slots had the same flat looking side near the rim. If you remove a lug and washer and there is a slotted lug hole and a recess the washer fits into it is an ET wheel. They marketed them as a Uni-Lug.

To amplify what Chuck and Jeff have said, this is NOT a stock wheel.

I agree that it looks like an aftermarket (ET) wheel which was quite popular in the 70s.

BT

If those have the slotted lug holes and shank lug nuts then they are aftermarket. I just bought a set of american racing's version of these wheels.

CIMG0057.jpg

I think a lot of the big wheel manufacturers made this style in the early 70s. I've seen ads for Cragar, American Racing and Ansen with similar 73 Mustang wheels. As for identifying them, I think the wheels Ford used in '73 had a black line around the perimeter which helps as well.

IMG_0391.JPG

Ah - slotted mags. Love 'em!

I'm still torn between those (polished, of course), Cragar 'Raiders' (like Nance's and Rocketfoot's), and polished AR Torque Thrusts.

Hey - old school car... can't go wrong with old school mags.

I'm new to Mustangs so the thing that made me ask was my coupe had them and then when I got the Mach1 it had almost identical wheels. I thought maybe they were an option or something. I guess it's just a testament to the fact they were popular.

I'm okay with it. My son with the 97 mustang wants me to give him a set. :)

I have noticed that many of our Mustangs have similar wheels.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the history of these wheels? Did they come standard or were they just popular?

Mine are 14" front and 15" rear.

The Coupe has 60's an 50' while the Mach 1 has 70's

I want to bring them into this century and powder coat them but I would love to know more about their history.

9h0srb.jpg
Here in Oz, we used to call them jelly beans back in the 70's.

I'm new to Mustangs so the thing that made me ask was my coupe had them and then when I got the Mach1 it had almost identical wheels. I thought maybe they were an option or something. I guess it's just a testament to the fact they were popular.

I'm okay with it. My son with the 97 mustang wants me to give him a set. :)
Here are a couple more shots of the factory wheel from 73. Does it look more like the ones you had on the coupe?

DSCF9278.jpg

DSCF9277.jpg

Those are sweet looking. Mine are more of a brushed finish. Or maybe they're just seriously oxidized?

Back