Holy grail 351c cj ho????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only Boss motors got 4 bolt mains in 71 except for the few Q codes at the end of the 71 production year

All 71 , 72 and 73 2V engines were suppose to be 2 bolt mains

All 72 CJ, HO and 73 4 V engines were suppose to be 4 bolt engines

The exceptions were... if they ran out of blocks they switched to what was on hand to keep the line moving

A 72 HO had open chamber heads

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pics of a 72 R Code. This was at a local car show last year. This car was very cool and very original. The paint is even mostly original, just a couple of touch ups. I talked with the owner & he said he has owned it since 1975.
012.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

Looks like a decent car and real 351 HO 72 Mach 1 but a few changes are apparent.

No rev-limiter, wrong gas cap, bright wheel lip moldings, louvers and (maybe) incorrect exhaust tips - should be turned down like Boss... ?

Ray

Lots of great info guys!!! , I wanted to know which one my engine is so I know the compression ratio of my engine since there were several different ratios

Your engine based on your vin is a 1972 Q code

351 CJ 4 V open chamber heads I think they were

8.6 : 1 compression ratio

Exhaust tips are correct style. I was surprised to see one aluminum valve cover and one steel valve cover. Probably a victim of over torquing. Chuck

What I've found on my cars coincides with Don's statement. My 70 Torino GT "M" code 351C had two bolt mains. Money Pitt #1 ( Pewter 71 Mach 1) "M" had two bolt mains. Had two "Q" 72 Gran Torino Sports and a 74 "Q" Gran Torino engine in Money Pitt #2 (Red Mach1) and all those had 4 bolt main engines. My info shows 71R, 71Q, 72 R, and 72,73,74 Q had 4 bolt main blocks. Factors such as engine swaps, service blocks, warranty repairs, etc, could affect what is under your hood now. Around the end of 1988 with the 351M (the 75/ 351 Modified) in it's fourth year of production, the supply of new Cleveland blocks were starting to dwindle. Ford had authorized it's Dealer's to use a 4 bolt block in place of 2 bolt if needed.

The D1ZZ-5255-A&B exhaust tips are correct on a 71,72 Mach1 if equipped with a 351 or larger 4bl engine. Boss, non Mach1's, and all 73's received turn down pipes.

Sold a lot of aluminum valve covers in those days. Seemed like a lot of people would tighten them like they were tightening the lug nuts on a dump truck. Made a lot of $$$ :D

Only Boss motors got 4 bolt mains in 71 except for the few Q codes at the end of the 71 production year

All 71 , 72 and 73 2V engines were suppose to be 2 bolt mains

All 72 CJ, HO and 73 4 V engines were suppose to be 4 bolt engines

The exceptions were... if they ran out of blocks they switched to what was on hand to keep the line moving

A 72 HO had open chamber heads
Agree with this info 100% and to clarify by VIN code:

H - 2 bolt

M - 2 bolt

R - 4-bolt

Q - 4 bolt

Out of the dozens of Clevelands I've owned, the only 4-bolt blocks were 72 or 73 casting number CJ blocks - except for a '72 Grande parts car I bought that was 100% original H-code car and had a matching VIN stamped 4-bolt block and a one-legger 2.75 "N" case 9" rear....

That's what Ford did to keep the line moving....

on the heads if the 4 has a dot next to it then they are open chamber heads lower compression.
I think you have to also look at the casting date to determine for sure if they are open, closed chambered, or Boss 351 heads. I have a set of dot-4 heads D1AE-GA that are closed chambered with the slotted rocker pads (i.e. non-boss).

Sold a lot of aluminum valve covers in those days. Seemed like a lot of people would tighten them like they were tightening the lug nuts on a dump truck. Made a lot of $$$   :D
I bought mine back in '80 at Jack Roach Ford, and didn't even have to order them, they had a set sitting on the shelves.

I hate to think of what I probably could have bought back then...

1-Mach1, Ford had a lot of great looking valve covers that made excellent dress up items. The fact you could actually see them on the engine back then was a plus. Since I lived in a town that had a large group of Ford racing enthusiasts and a military base close by, these type of items sold like crazy. The "Snake" 428, Penthose (Tall) 427, 429 CJ, and the Boss 302/351 aluminum covers were always great sellers along with any chrome versions Ford had.  

The first Boss covers I bought in 76 were $18.70 each. Using Ford valve cover gaskets, bolts and chrome Motorcraft  oil fill cap, I had a whopping $50.65 tied up! They had a smooth finish and looked great. I bought another set around 1982 when I heard rumors of them being discontinued. By then they had gone up to $36.00 and the finish was very rough and they did not look near as good as the earlier covers.

I realize these were bought with 70's/ 80's dollars, but like you I hate to think about all the things I should/could have bought back then and stuck back. I bought a Boss 351 intake for $150.00 and by the time it and the Boss 302 intake were discontinued in the early 80's they were retailing for $356.00! Try to buy one for that now!

Steve,

Like you I have a good bit of Ford catalogs and literature packed in boxes, lol. I went to the local Ford dealer and they were also American Motors and Jeep when they were around. When I walked in the showroom two guys were filling up a pick up truck with manuals, catalogs and all kids of Ford paper. I went to owners office and ask what was up. He said just cleaning up stuff taking to dump. I ask if I could have and he said sure so I loaded up my van.

In the stuff was the parts catalogs for Shelby and all of the Ford racing parts from the 60's and the pricing sheets were there also. If I remember right you could get a race ready Holman Moody 427 for around $2,000. Of course I made from $1.00 to $1.35 and hour in 64 - 66 so that was a years pay, lol. Was still out of my reach. One of the owners of a tool & die shop did order one of the SOHC 427 when they came out and kept for many years and never used it.

With all the NASCAR guys that lived in this area this Ford dealer was the go to place for the racing parts. They kept 427 lined up in the parts bay. I was at the parts desk one day and ask Bobby what all the ring and pinions were for sitting there. He said Banjo Matthews would order like 50 at a time take them to his shop inspect them for run out and finish and would reject about half of them and bring back. Those were his rejects.

I was in there one day and the parts manager ask if I still had a cleveland and I said sure several. He sold me a set of 4-V head with springs and valves complete for $20.00 said they had been on shelf forever and wanted them gone. I bought their take out radios when people would upgrade for $5.00 each and would sell at swap meets.

Once I went in and Bobby told me when they moved from old building to the new they took all the old burgundy and tan FoMoCo boxes of stuff and took to the dump. Made me sick.

My dad was always made at me for bring home parts and putting in the garage. I have lots of NOS was looking at bumpers the other day I think it was $18.00 for rear and $21.00 for front for 65 Mustang. Have NOS door panels for 65 also and all the trim pieces. NOS hub caps also. It was cheap and I did buy some but I was a poor boy and still am.

Memory lane,

So a buddy of mine was looking at my recently acquired Mustang and seems to think that I have a very rare version of the 351 Cleveland. He said based on the four on the heads the Factory 4 Barrel and the four-bolt main inside that it is a 351 high output since the car is a 1972, And it is the original Engine with the car, and the car is a Q code. Can anyone confirm this?
This is an old post but I thought I would add to it.

72 351 HO R code had the bigger balancer, Nodular 4M crankshaft, D1ZX-AA boss Rods, 4V open chamber heads, Timing pointer with hole for pickup, Buddy bar aluminum intake, 4300d Motorcraft GA Carb, BA dipstick, Aluminum Valve covers, Boss D1ZZ-6375B Nodular iron Flywheel, rev limiter and its own air cleaner arrangement. They did not come with A/C due to compressors could not take the higher RPM. HD sway bars, springs, with staggered shocks. Top load 4 speed and 3.91 rears. These are some old pics of mine. Easy to spot one if you know what to look for. 

upload image sites

Back