Hood molding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with 460 engine, C6 automatic gearbox.
Out of curuiosity, how is the hood molding mounted? I found theese http://www.cjponyparts.com/hood-molding-hardware-14-1971-1973/p/F3869/

I am missing some of the nuts, but wonder how they are attached to the molding? I attached a picture of my molding, sorry for the darkness.

x1etec.jpg

Can new studs be installed with epoxy?????

Might cannibalize off another bent or broken trim piece...

Don at OMS (Ohio Mustang Supply) might have some of studs - I know he has the same attaching hardware.

Ray

Unfortunately, the molding and studs are a one piece casting for the Mach 1. I'm sure Don at Ohio Mustang Supply has replacement moldings. Chuck

Get some stainless steel machine screws, cut to length, clean and sand the trim, fasten to the trim with silver solder. It has a low enough melting point that stainless trim won't discolor. Others have used epoxy, clean and sand the trim to give the epoxy something to stick to.

Get some stainless steel machine screws, cut to length, clean and sand the trim, fasten to the trim with silver solder. It has a low enough melting point that stainless trim won't discolor. Others have used epoxy, clean and sand the trim to give the epoxy something to stick to.
It is chromed pot metal, so any heating will be detrimental. Epoxy may work but you wouldn't want the profile on the hood to raise much, at some point it will reveal the bent edge along the hood's bottom.

It is chromed pot metal, so any heating will be detrimental. Epoxy may work but you wouldn't want the profile on the hood to raise much, at some point it will reveal the bent edge along the hood's bottom.
You are correct, the PO had sanded my trim and then painted it, and where the paint had flaked off it looked like stainless. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

You can solder stainless steel screws to pot metal with a product called MuggyWeld or some pot metal solder pastes.

It is pot metal, it is not stainless.

It was chromed for some 71 and 72 cars

71-2 Mach 1's were just painted, there were some

other specialty cars that got the painted version too.

In 73 all cars had the painted moldings

Back