hood springes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1mama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1, 351 cleveland cobra jet engine. Gold glow, ginger interior. Long tube headers. completely rebuilt engine. Forged piston, roller rockers. lifters. Comp cams. Edelbrook carb and intake. Trush mufflers stainless steele custom exhaust. Added air conditioning, SSBC disc brakes. Rebuilt transmittion. pretty much anything you can do and a BUNCH of body work, functional not cosmetic.
Hello All, I was reading a thread about hood springes. It dealt sprecifically with regular springs vs. springs for the addition of the Ram Air option. I put a Ram Air kit on my '73. Is there a part number for the different spring, I would like to add it. Thx;)

I know I"m pregidous ( not sure about that spelling ) but I would message don at OMS or somebody else you like and ask. I havent seen any part numbers ,but have the same situation. They said flat looking spring sides and mine are not and the hood just barely stays open.

Hi. One company there in the states had a used pair to sell me for a lazy $200!

Anyway, as I visit car shows with the hood open most of the day, I also worry about the hood slamming shut.

I've since made a foolproof item to stop that from ever happening.

It's a metal rod which I covered in black heatshrink.

This rod easily slips into one of the holes on the hood lift mechanism and the other "hooks" into the cowl/firewall about 12 inches away.

It is very inconspicuous and works perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. One company there in the states had a used pair to sell me for a lazy $200!

Anyway, ass I visit car shows with the hood open most of the day, I also worry about the hood slamming shut.

I've since made a foolproof item to stop that from ever happening.

It's a metal rod which I covered in black heatshrink.

This rod easily slips into one of the holes on the hood lift mechanism and the other "hooks" into the cowl/firewall about 12 inches away.

It is very inconspicuous and works perfectly.
:worthlesswithoutpics:

Too bad these springs are not in production anywhere. I also attent alot of car shows and the Engine is the best part. I got tired of being a human prop stick and started using a matt black curtain road (yes, I know, but plain ones just look like a metal rod). A friend of mine suggested a junior sized pool cue. Thanks for the replies. Sorry I haven't figured out the picture thing yet. I've had my car a few years but this is my first web site.

The PN is D1ZZ-16789-B. The only place I found that lists them is here. http://www.fordmustangparts.com/inv1213c.htm I've never dealt with these people so I can't speak to how they deal with folks. Have you asked Don at OMS? Chuck

Chuck, no one has asked me.

I have a nice pair of nasa hood hinges with the flat sided springs, need refinished 100.00 pair + shipping

In case some is going to ask

hinges and springs 100.00 pair + UPS

springs only 100.00 pair + UPS

Don

Interesting, I thought the flat springs were for the NASA hood, are they only really needed if you have the RAM AIR option?

I swapped out to the NASA hood years ago (20+) but kept the standard hinges and have not had any problems.

I have a nice pair of nasa hood hinges with the flat sided springs, need refinished 100.00 pair + shipping

Don

Hi Don, I got a front crossmember from you last year when I couldn't find one ANYWHERE, so thanks for the intel. Is there any other form of shipping that you use other than UPS. I live in a more rural area, and delivery is hit and miss for me with them. I was actually going to replace the hinges too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking today about how to change the spring to gas shocks. Those are sweet!

Don

Hi Don, I got a front crossmember from you last year when I couldn't find one ANYWHERE, so thanks for the intel. Is there any other form of shipping that you use other than UPS. I live in a more rural area, and delivery is hit and miss for me with them. I was actually going to replace the hinges too.
Tried to PM and email you both don't work

email me your postal code

[email protected]

Interesting, I thought the flat springs were for the NASA hood, are they only really needed if you have the RAM AIR option?

I swapped out to the NASA hood years ago (20+) but kept the standard hinges and have not had any problems.
Will they came on all mach 1's with the NASA hood

Standard round sided springs will hold unless they are weak.

I've seen a couple of car where hood stayed open but with the slightest touch and it would slam down.

Don

Will they came on all mach 1's with the NASA hood

Standard round sided springs will hold unless they are weak.

I've seen a couple of car where hood stayed open but with the slightest touch and it would slam down.

Don
Thanks for the clarification. Mine will sometimes drop if the engine is cold and shaking but for the most part it isn't a problem.

Back