Horn

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 302 2v "Spring Special"
I have a 71 coupe and I would like to get the horn working. I tested the hi and low pitch horns and they appear to be working but the horn button is not. I checked for available replacement parts and can't find anything that even approaches original. Can someone please offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.

--

Joe

WP_20140523_001.jpg

Is the 20 Amp fuse that feeds the Horn and Cigar Lighter circuits good? Looking at a 71-72 Wiring diagram, I see that the current flow is from the buss bar to a 20 Amp fuse, branches to the Cigar Lighter and the horn switch (wire 460, yellow with light blue stripe). Then leaves the switch on wire number 1, dark blue, to connector C-91 (turn signal switch connector), then wire 1 goes to connector C-27 (the main, square connector). Then wire 1 goes to the Hi Pitch Horn. Have you tried cleaning the switch and re-seating the connectors? Just some ideas. Chuck

Have you removed the horn button and OHM tested it - to see if it is good

OR

jump the wires in the column to see if the horn works

Don

Yes I have. And no jumping them across yield no results. I was thinking it was a relay or fuse. The fuses are fine but I am not sure where to loo for the relay. In any case I think the horn button will need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Joe

Is the 20 Amp fuse that feeds the Horn and Cigar Lighter circuits good? Looking at a 71-72 Wiring diagram, I see that the current flow is from the buss bar to a 20 Amp fuse, branches to the Cigar Lighter and the horn switch (wire 460, yellow with light blue stripe). Then leaves the switch on wire number 1, dark blue, to connector C-91 (turn signal switch connector), then wire 1 goes to connector C-27 (the main, square connector). Then wire 1 goes to the Hi Pitch Horn. Have you tried cleaning the switch and re-seating the connectors? Just some ideas. Chuck
All electrical components in the dash are working (except the horn). including the cig lighter. I will recheck the wiring. Do you think a relay might be bad? Also, were inline fuses used back then?

Thanks for the input, Chuck. This is driving me crazy.

--

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have. And no jumping them across yield no results. I was thinking it was a relay or fuse. The fuses are fine but I am not sure where to loo for the relay. In any case I think the horn button will need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Joe
The wiring diagram does not show a relay in the circuit. You might start looking for a loose or corroded connector or a cut wire. Chuck

For some reason both replies got cross posted. Sorry about that...

Check for +12V at the horn contact (yellow wire) with the steering wheel removed as your first step. Second step is to check for continuity (ohms) between the horn output and the other horn contact (blue/yellow wire) with the steering wheel removed. With those two measurements, we can guide you further as to where to check for problems.

When I look at the pic posted in the original posting, I see that the horn button looks tilted relative to the steering wheel. I am wondering if you have it installed properly? It is simply a push and twist install, but when twisted into final location, the pony emblem should be straight up and down relative to the 2 spokes. I'm wondering if yours is pushed down, but not rotated? I believe - if not rotated - the contacts might not line up, and thus… no horn.

Can you check for proper installation? Our wheel and horn button look identical. If you can't figure out what I am saying, I can send pics of my unit….

Jay

When I look at the pic posted in the original posting, I see that the horn button looks tilted relative to the steering wheel. I am wondering if you have it installed properly? It is simply a push and twist install, but when twisted into final location, the pony emblem should be straight up and down relative to the 2 spokes. I'm wondering if yours is pushed down, but not rotated? I believe - if not rotated - the contacts might not line up, and thus… no horn.

Can you check for proper installation? Our wheel and horn button look identical. If you can't figure out what I am saying, I can send pics of my unit….

Jay
Hi, Jay.

I didn't install it. That is the way it was when I bought the car. I took it apart and tested the connection and it has power. I also took a wire and made a direct connection but the horns still don't work. Also, I am guessing that there should be a spring underneath the center piece and there is not.

I think pictures would be helpful.

Thanks.

--

Joe

Here are some pics of my setup. It's not what I thought in there. I was getting the parts mixed up in my head from my 69 I think (has a horn-ring).

This thing seems simple, and it seems the horn switch - the pressure sensitive device that triggers the circuit - is entirely inside the plastic horn button - I could still activate it with the button loose but electrically connected. if you have good power at the posts on the steering wheel, then the natural thing I think would be to just get a new horn button.

That said, I haven't seen these parts in the looking around I have done. I don't know where to get them. It might be possible to disassemble one and repair it, but being 40 yr old plastic, you are risking breaking something.

In mine, the horn button is not held on with a spring. It is a slight push and twist to get it installed/de-installed - it comes off surprisingly easily.

I included a pic with the horn button installed, and you can see the pony logo is straight up and down. Is it possible your horn button has been disassembled and the parts not re-installed properly?

Let me know if you need more or different pics. Sorry getting these took so long. Happy to take more if you need.

Jay

Image 9.jpg

Image 7.jpg

Image 6.jpg

Image 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back