How to Change Car Brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brakes are pretty simple to do, but only because we've done it a few times and know the basics. If you've never done it before, then I would suggest wrenching with someone who has experience or take it to a professional. Brakes is not something you want to make a mistake with. Even the smallest part installed wrong can lead to death for you, your passenger(s) and bystanders. Good luck!

I'll talk about my own experience. 5 years ago i never touched a cars brakes before. When my ford developed brake pull on the front disc brakes I broke down and decided to fix them myself.

What transpired turned into a epic journey. It went from a possible small brake repair to an entire brake system replacement. everything was no good.

I worked slowly and carefully figuring that even if i messed something up it was a million times better then what i currently had on the car.

I worked front to back, dreading dealing with Drum Brakes. Everyone told me Drum brakes are a nightmare, they didn't understand how they worked, nor understood how to adjust them.

I found a website with a 1969 mustang under restoration and used a photo of the drum brakes to see how everything fit together and what was missing on my car.

I figured out how to use the correct tools how everything fit together and once i understood how everything functioned the mystery of drum brakes were solved.

It took me over 5 months to do my first brake job, mostly because of endless back orders, and incorrect parts and having to go back and forth returning things 100 times.

After that brakes were easy for me.

I quickly turned around and started working on new cars that had brake issues for family and friends, and i got pretty good at spotting problems and making repairs.

I would encourage anyone whom has never worked on brakes to do research and do it for yourself at least once. If anything you will be able to spot bad or shady work done by a repair shop and save yourself from an accident or lawsuit.

the worst part of brake repair is dealing with DOT 2 or 3 or 4 brake fluid, the stuff is just nasty. I converted to DOT 5 when i did my car. the second worst thing is dealing with leaks in the brake system and stay AWAY FROM STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES they are evil.

also the left self adjuster on the right side of the car, or 2 right or left adjusters used instead of one right and one left.

reversed calipers drivers side on passenger side and you cannot bleed the brakes.

missing clips.

using the wrong width drum shoes is a good one also. i've seen people use the front shoes and put them on the back thinking the wider ones go on the back and the thinner on the front for a 4 drum car.

Auto Repair & Maintenance : How to Change Car Brakes ...

So what now, Do you find it easy to do it on your own or still call an expert?
Disc brakes are WAY easier than drums.

Drum brakes have Springs and a lot more asbestos dust.

If you have never changed either get someone to show you how.

It is somewhat easier than replacing your clutch. Just kidding :p

mike

One thing the bloke on that video doesn't mention is that when you're pushing the brake cylinders back in there is a chance the fluid being pushed back up the lines may overflow from the master cylinder reservoir.

One thing the bloke on that video doesn't mention is that when you're pushing the brake cylinders back in there is a chance the fluid being pushed back up the lines may overflow from the master cylinder reservoir.
This is true a friend of mind actually cracked his plastic reservoir because he forgot to take the cap off. I'm sure this was a fluke but anything could happen.

I've taught my kids to do their own brakes. Best bet is to find an experienced tech to assist when you get in over your head. Bottom line is to not be afraid of taking on an unfamiliar job but on the other hand do not be afraid to admit it if you are beyond your capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just a backyard mechanic, but I've been doing brakes since the 70's. I've taught my two boys how to do them too. I even showed my daughter how to do them so she would at least have an idea how they worked. Lots of good tips here, but take plenty of digital pictures, close-up and from all angles, before you take them apart so if you forget how it went together you can look at the picture (hopefully the previous brake job was done right).

Keep track of which side you are taking the picture on.

They really are not that bad to do. A lot of grunt work and it's messy. Do get yourself a bendix brake tool. This will make installation and removal of the springs a lot easier and safer.

Back