How to reinstall Power Steering pulley

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
The new power steering pump finally arrived, and the guys down at NAPA helped me remove the pulley from the old pump. I cleaned it up and painted it, and now need to reinstall it. As of last week, Autozone no longer rents out the pulley removal/installation tool (what timing).

Can you reinstall the pulley without paying $39.99 for the pulley removal/installation tool? I know I can't just bang it on with a hammer, but is there another way?

Doc

We always just used the center bolt to pull it back into place, may not be correct but has always worked for us.
Thanks, Roy. The old pump had a star or torx bolt in the center of the shaft. We started by trying to remove that bolt, but it wouldn't budge. So we used the removal tool and pulled the pulley off the shaft fairly easily. But the torx bolt stayed on the shaft and was returned with the core. I see the new pump is threaded inside the shaft, so it sounds like I need to find a bolt to fit it there and just screw it in, and the pulley will be pulled onto the shaft as the bolt is tightened. Does that sound right?

We always just used the center bolt to pull it back into place, may not be correct but has always worked for us.
Thanks, Roy. The old pump had a star or torx bolt in the center of the shaft. We started by trying to remove that bolt, but it wouldn't budge. So we used the removal tool and pulled the pulley off the shaft fairly easily. But the torx bolt stayed on the shaft and was returned with the core. I see the new pump is threaded inside the shaft, so it sounds like I need to find a bolt to fit it there and just screw it in, and the pulley will be pulled onto the shaft as the bolt is tightened. Does that sound right?
Sounds about right. Might want to use a couple washers with some antisieze to help with friction

Just the bolt won't do it, because the pump will turn. You need a bolt long enough to have room for a nut and heavy flat washer. Install the bolt, hold the head with a wrench and turn the nut and washer down against the pulley until it seats. This is basically what the installation tool looks like but instead of a washer, it uses a bearing so it won't bind. You may have to tighten and loosen the nut to avoid that. Can I suggest that the kit is something you'll use more than once if you plan on having old cars, and well worth getting one?

Steve

The bolt with the nut works great,but install pump on the car and put the belt on it. only install the pulley just far enought for the belt to line up . If you don't do it this way you might put it in ltoo far and will have to remove it again.

Do you have a part number for that tool? I need to go and get one. I see a few different style of "universal" pullers?

Thanks

Scott

Latest posts

Back