I Know What It Isn't

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach I - Ram Air - 351C - FMX
It's not the alternator, tested, it's not the battery, tested, it's not the starter, tested, it's not the voltage regulator, new, it's not the ground- body, chassy and block, checked and cleaned it's not a fuse, all check and good. With the engine running with one lead on the alternator output stud the other ground to the meter reads 12.45 volts. When tested the output is Low 13.6V actual 14.69V High 15.40V. Driving the car for approx. 30 minutes, speed range average 45 mph to 80 mph the reading drops down to between 10.7V to 11.4V and kills the engine. When the battery is recharged on a charger the reading is 12.5V. It holds that reading over a three day period with no drop in voltage. Seems to me the alternator is NOT charging the battery.

How old is the battery? If you have another running vehicle, I would borrow its battery and try. Just to be sure it's really not the battery.
If something drains the battery, you should disconnect the negative side. then test the body (or black wire) and the negative side of the battery with a multimeter. Then if there is a drain. You need test with all fuses out and then adding them back one by one to find the drain.
But again, I would first make sure its not the battery. Weird how sometimes problems arise with old batts...

if you have no issue with another batt and have no parasitic drain. I would then suspect the alternator.

New does not necessarily mean good. Lots of bad out of the box voltage regulators. If you have one that was known working, swap that in and try it. Be sure your voltage regulator plug is not inserted 180° out, it *is* possible to do that. Make sure none of the terminals have pushed back out of the connector.

You can also "full field" the alternator momentarily with a jumper from terminal A to F. Hook up a voltmeter to the battery. Pull the VR harness, start the engine, then apply the jumper between those two terminals on the connector. You should hear the alternator load up and see a jump in voltage on the meter. Again, only do this for a few seconds. If nothing changes, then your wiring needs to be checked over - assuming that your alternator is actually good.

73 VOLTAGE REGULATOR WIRING.JPG

I am dead center in the, "check the wiring," camp. Be sure to look at the gound cable from the battery. The ground cables I use has an interin ground lug that is attached to the inner fender, under one of the retaining screws for the voltage regulator. The other is attached to the passenger side cylinder head under a bolt. If either the interim ground cable lug, or end lug, is missing or not tight, it can cause all kinds of havoc. Also, on the rear of the alternator, the wiring harness is supposed to be attached to the alternator using a ground stud and a nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmDi0y2COzc

In the event the wiring harness to the alternator has been damaged, or the insulation for the wires has been pierced a large number of times, you can get the charging system sub-harness from a variety of sources. Just Google on the following text:

"1973 mustang charing system wiring harness"

I have seen more times than I am comfortable with situations where someone has replaced a battery, alternator, and voltage regulator ("because when one goes bad it affects the others" or some such implausible excuse), and the problem turns out to be the wiring and/or bad ground, where there is an intermittent open circuit due to something as unusual as the wire's conductive material inside the insulation has fatigued and broken, or in one case the brush holder in a Ford side terminal alternator failed to hold the Field spade terminal in place, which kept the Field current from ever getting to the alternator's rotor windings. I saw evidence on that car (the aforementioned Field circuit issue) of someone having poked and prodded the alternator wiring so much that I had to replace that sub-harness before I could move onto diagnosing what was a clear problem where the battery would only hold a charge for as long as it could while its charge was being depleted by the ignition system and other electrical loads. The prior owner had replaced the battery, and the reculator. It turns out he had replaced the alternator also, and the replacement rebuilt alternator is where I found the problem. If you are curious I did a video on that situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ur-4TSZoRU

In the photos below it looked to me like the spade terminal for the Field circuit had broken off. But, actually its retaining tab for the Field spade terminal in the brush housing did not engage or was worn/broken. So the Field spade terminal had actually been pushed back into the brush housing, where it was not able to make (constant) contact with its female spade terminal in the harness plug. I placed the term "constant" in the preceding sentence because there were times when the voltmeter in the car's Dakota VHX analog instrument panel when the gauge did show 13+ volts, but that was fairly rare, and would only last for a few occasional moments. That, of course, added to the baffling situation, and may well be why the prior owner had decided to take a shotgun approach when replacing the regulator and battery, whether they were actually in need of replacement or not. Had I not seen the cause of the intermittent charging I would like to think I would have not succumbed to that kind of approach (it.s not may nature anyway, FWIW). As it was I had already replaced the charging system sub-harness - but mostly because of how much the wiring insulation had been perforated with test light probes - not because I though it was causing the no charge itself - but I was hoping that perhaps there was a fractured wire inside the insulation on one of the wires. No such luck.

1693926229079.png1693926262706.png

Attachments

• 1973Mach1_OriginalAlternator_RepairedFieldTerminal_1_20201026.JPG
    1973Mach1_OriginalAlternator_RepairedFieldTerminal_1_20201026.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back