Ignition switch faulty

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Okay, my 73 is slowly coming back to life and there is soooo much to do but I'm up for the task.

Here's one of many problems. I had the car idling this morning and decided to shut it off and listen to the radio for a few minutes. I rotated the switch quickly from "run" to "accessory" and guess what?!? The car just kept running in the accessory position! I tired it again and same result.

I haven't seen this one before but I'm guessing the switch needs to be replaced. Also my dash lights are out and keep blowing the fuse. I'm guessing they are unrelated so I'm tackling the switch before the dash lights.

Scott aka Monterey

I agree, probably the ignition switch. It is located down on the steering column close to the brake pedal.
I'm glad you told me that. I was wondering how I was going to take that column apart to get to the switch. I'll just have to set my sights a bit lower!

Scott

The hard part is getting your head and body under there to see it. It should come out fairly easy.
The head and body, or the ignition???

Back