Quick question. Where to connect power lead for radio to come on with key in "accessory position?"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hooking up a Custom Auto Sound radio. I find all kinds of places to hook up power that come on when the ignition switch is in the "on" position, but that will fry the coil when listening to the radio with the car not running. The radio power lead gets no juice when I turn the ignition counter-clockwise to the "accessory" position. I can't remember what things come on ONLY when the ignition switch is turned to the accessory position. I tried the "accessory" fuse on the fuse box but it only gets juice when the key is turned to the "on" position. I thought the radio was supposed to be able to be turned on when the ignition switch was turned to the accessory position, but it's not happening on this car I'm working on, and I don't have another car at the house to check against it. Maybe the ignition switch is bad or not adjusted properly? I was having some problems with it earlier. Thanks. Kevin.

Sorry. I figured it out. When I was working on the ignition switch earlier, I got it out of adjustment. I just readjusted it and now the ACC on the switch works fine and powers up the radio like it should. I tried to delete the post but I can't seem to be able to do that. Thanks. Kevin.

Whoever had my 71 before me 'fixed' the wiring. Tracking down electrical gremlins is not high on my fun-to-do list.

Glad your issue was relatively straight forward to address!

Back