Ignition switch problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever you do don't spray WD-40 into the lock cylinder. It will cause the grease that is in the cylinder to harden and then you will have a bigger problem. As Don said the issue should be all in the switch mechanism and not the lock cylinder.
I'm thinking that this is exactly what someone did.
Just picked up a 73 yesterday that has the same issue. Key not returning after starting. Did you get this resolved without taking apart the steering column?
Sure did. Contact cleaner carefully sprayed in there. No WD40! DRy type lube and all seems to be well.

I once did some column repairs on my F150 which included using assembly lube on the switch. When it got cold it did the same thing you describe. I would guess it is a lube issue.

Gave it a pretty heavy dose of electrical contact cleaner and all seems to be well today. Everything is must less tight and key springs back.

That is why I love these forums. Saved me a few hundred dollars on new ignition switch...

I'm thinking that this is exactly what someone did.
Just picked up a 73 yesterday that has the same issue. Key not returning after starting. Did you get this resolved without taking apart the steering column?
Sure did. Contact cleaner carefully sprayed in there. No WD40! DRy type lube and all seems to be well.

When it happened to me, I also thought I was looking at a switch issue. You will find the experienced members on here a huge help in getting the car squared away. I am glad it worked out for you.

Gave it a pretty heavy dose of electrical contact cleaner and all seems to be well today. Everything is must less tight and key springs back.

That is why I love these forums. Saved me a few hundred dollars on new ignition switch...

Back