Ignition switch problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured out the problem, missing engine ground strap. Jerry rigged one on and it fixed all my issues!

A bad battery ground cable or missing ground strap to the engine firewall perhaps?
Do I get a star or a chocolate brownie for this?

Go Midlife!

These cars are at the age where...

The very first thing you do is maintain all grounds!

My electrics were all jacked up until I cleaned all grounds!

There is something about chassis rust between the ground wire and where it attaches

that causes weird problems... nuf said.

I would give you a chocolate star if I could.

The white plug is for your PRNDL lamp; the green plug is for AC or emissions, and the three prong plug is for your coil, water temperature, and oil pressure. The car won't catch without the coil wire connected.

None of these wires are affecting your electrical problems.
Does any place on the internet sell that plug? Maybe even with the wires to the coil, water temp sensor and the oil pressure sending unit already attached? Mine are all missing.

Augie:

Just look in your favorite catalog for engine gauge feed harness: you'll find the one for your engine there. They are all reproduced.

There's no reproduction pigtails for the section coming from the headlight harness, though, only for the plug and wires going to the coil, oil, and water sending units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Augie:

Just look in your favorite catalog for engine gauge feed harness: you'll find the one for your engine there. They are all reproduced.

There's no reproduction pigtails for the section coming from the headlight harness, though, only for the plug and wires going to the coil, oil, and water sending units.
Thanks! I love this forum.

Back