Ignition wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robnbama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach one
Well I've come to the part I dread....wiring. This is a pic of the wiring harness that goes in front of the motor and up by the solenoid. I installed a new solenoid and a single wire alternator and one of those GM type electronic ignition distributors. I could use any help identifying these wire and where that go...thanks!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I found and downloaded the diagram and honestly couldn't make sense of it. Very frustrating dealing with wiring.

Just find the colour first...

Most people can't get their head around it because the schematic is a logical representation of the electrical connections only and may not physically be where you think it will be.

Eg, find a blue/red wire on the schematic and follow it forward towards the front ...see where it connects to on the schematic...

I know from memory the red/blue was a very common connection for many "ignition on" misc lighting....

Just remember.

Ex. Red/blue = red wire with blue stripe.

Ex. Red/yellow = red wire swith yellow stripe

And so on and so forth. Wiring is not my specialty either but its definitely something I check, double check and check once more before modifying.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

It's now at the point that I have almost every year vintage Mustang wiring color, function, and location memorized. 71-73's give me the most fits because of the weird accessories and doo-dads that aren't on earlier years.

Yes, I know, I'm sick...

The wires were already cut when I bought the car. Here's what I have so far.

Light green red. Alternator

Red light green. Coil and solenoid Tach

Big yellow alternator. And possibly solenoid Need fusable link

White black alternator

Red light blue solenoid

The wires were already cut when I bought the car. Here's what I have so far.

Light green red. Alternator

Red light green. Coil and solenoid Tach

Big yellow alternator. And possibly solenoid Need fusable link

White black alternator

Red light blue solenoid
If you are using a one wire alternator the cable (4-6 ga) should connect to the power side of the starter solenoid or directly to the + side of the battery. Make sure you have a fuse on this line.

The big yellow wire hooks up to the solenoid on the battery side.

The other two alternator lines go to the regulator and should not be used. I actually removed my regulator for my build. This regulator is now built into the alternator

Not sure about the distributor wires, if you send me the instructions I'll take a look at it as to what wires need to be connected.

Back