ignition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
Do these cars have a clutch position switch and what does the rod do that goes from column to 4 speed shifter linkage

No clutch interlock switch. The rod locks out the ignition crank for the automatic transmission unless it is in park or neutral. I don't know for sure about the 4 speed manual, but if it is there, you probably need to have the gear in neutral to crank the engine.

I believe it is the same idea that Midlife mentioned on manual transmission cars. When you turn the key off, the transmission should be in reverse. If I remember correctly, when you put the transmission in a forward gear the key will not come back far enough to remove it. Moving the key back to the off position and removing the key when in reverse locks the transmission in reverse gear.

I assume it was to avoid someone shifting a parked car into neutral and pushing it into something... or onto a trailer. From what I've heard, a lot of people removed the rod on manual transmission cars as they found it annoying.

Personally, I kind of like the idea that it is locked in reverse and therefore more difficult to move or rolling clutch start.

A friend of mine had a new 73 Sportsroof back in the day. It was equipped with a 302 / 3-spd. One day I spotted a minor blemish in the rear quarter and asked what happened.

Here in WNY winters can be cold. Her father thought he would do her a favor and start the car to warm it up. He reached in, started the car, it immediately went to high idle and took off in reverse down the driveway and into the street. He was knocked down by the open door. It ended up in a snowbank.

Latest posts

Back