I'm causing trouble again

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
I've been posting some comments on Mustang.org

I'm not sure if non member can reads all the posts so I will post mine comments and the responses in a response to this thread in a few days.

DSC_2247.jpg

Pot stirrer! Awesome!
Drive whatever Mustang floats your boat. :D At these MCA shows they charge an arm and leg to enter and then beat up your car if it's not prefect and wonder why you say to heck with that. I point out flaws in other cars to try to help folks reduce the beating they will get if they enter one of these shows. I just can't live up to their high standards and they seem to be easy to dismiss me without realizing this national club seems to be stuck in a rut with a few thousand diehard old Mustang owners that have a hard time seeing the hobby in the big picture. Of course there are newer Mustang owners in the club (about 50% or more post 79 Mustangs is my guess) but the website does not give any breakout of members by the year of Mustang(s) they own. They have some events with a "driving" event but at the Grand National last year with over 400 Mustangs only four cars raced. I don't expect someone with a six banger to go down the 1/4 mile but good grief - four cars out of 400 plus - that is less than 1%.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally see your point. Our local car shows are small enough that they can't really break out different categories of cars beyond 'Stock' and 'Modified' for various year classes (typically 'X0 to 'X9 periods). My Jeep is one of 3 4x4s in our car shows, but competes in the '80-'89 Modified class. Up until last year, it was the '80-Present class. There's no way I could compete with a 2-yr-old Vortec Supercharged Z06 'Vette - so it was a little disappointing. Especially seeing so many absolutely awesome '50s, '60s, and '70s hot rods and muscle cars vying for the same trophy in their class. They finally got a clue and broke out the Mustangs, Camaros, and 'Vettes into their own classes because of so many of them at the show.

OK - that's not really the same thing, but it's the principle. Why is your awesome unrestored Sprint competing against a 30 year newer car that's been garaged the whole time (while yours has been driven and enjoyed)? Seems a little unfair to me as well.

One thing I'm pretty sure of after reading your comments, is that I sincerely doubt my Mach 1 would be welcome to an MCA event with the things I have planned for it... especially if they saw all my 'resurrection' pictures and learned of the front clip swap. ;) :)

I totally see your point. Our local car shows are small enough that they can't really break out different categories of cars beyond 'Stock' and 'Modified' for various year classes (typically 'X0 to 'X9 periods). My Jeep is one of 3 4x4s in our car shows, but competes in the '80-'89 Modified class. Up until last year, it was the '80-Present class. There's no way I could compete with a 2-yr-old Vortec Supercharged Z06 'Vette - so it was a little disappointing. Especially seeing so many absolutely awesome '50s, '60s, and '70s hot rods and muscle cars vying for the same trophy in their class. They finally got a clue and broke out the Mustangs, Camaros, and 'Vettes into their own classes because of so many of them at the show.

OK - that's not really the same thing, but it's the principle. Why is your awesome unrestored Sprint competing against a 30 year newer car that's been garaged the whole time (while yours has been driven and enjoyed)? Seems a little unfair to me as well.

One thing I'm pretty sure of after reading your comments, is that I sincerely doubt my Mach 1 would be welcome to an MCA event with the things I have planned for it... especially if they saw all my 'resurrection' pictures and learned of the front clip swap. ;) :)
I can keep a secret about the front clip. :D

They actually have a modified class and give you points for everything that is NOT stock. I bet the concours judges get ill if they have to judge that class. ;)

They actually have a modified class and give you points for everything that is NOT stock. I bet the concours judges get ill if they have to judge that class. ;)
In that case, I'll bet Roy would clean house with his beastie!

They'd probably be alright until they made it around to my "vintage" Lakewood traction bars - then out come the little white airline bags they saved from the flight. LOL!!

In that case, I'll bet Roy would clean house with his beastie!

They'd probably be alright until they made it around to my "vintage" Lakewood traction bars - then out come the little white airline bags they saved from the flight. LOL!!
You crack me up Eric!

...four cars out of 400 - that less than 1%.
I don't mean to be picky but that is exactly 1%.:p I hear you guys about the shows though, even though I'm a noob when it comes to shows. Like you guys said before its just no fair to put a 40 year old car up against something that's less than 10.

This thread reminds me of guys that toss the 40 year old wife out for the 20 year old GF. They're beautiful to us!

At these MCA shows they charge an arm and leg to enter and then beat up your car if it's not prefect and wonder why you say to heck with that.
The reason I will likely never join the MCA. It's only slightly better than the lawn chair crowd that puts 350/350 combos in their Ford.

Nobody who has enjoyed what they bought is going to let it run down in the hope of a trophey some day. Now don't get me wrong, there are those who buy it and stash it just waiting for that shiney thing. IMHO they'll never know what they missed out on while we were wearing out ball joints, water pump, and shocks.

My favourite saying is " it is a car not a couch". You bought it because you love it. Show the car off, if it wins a trophy woohoo!

But, the best bit is when someone comes up and says "I used to own one of these" or "my dad had one of these" and they just enjoy the effort you put into it.;)

Nobody who has enjoyed what they bought is going to let it run down in the hope of a trophey some day. Now don't get me wrong, there are those who buy it and stash it just waiting for that shiney thing. IMHO they'll never know what they missed out on while we were wearing out ball joints, water pump, and shocks.
You forgot tires, especially the rear ones:exclamation: :D

Back