incorrect Mach 1 Striping etc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Misinformation seems to lead to people to restore cars incorrectly.

The ad states much incorrect information.

"But the repaint is show quality with proper Mach 1 striping and decals.", I want to make sure this incorrect statement is pointed out.

15xu3pu.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GORGEOUS-FAST-1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-28K-MILES-/360621335890?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53f6b4e552#ht_69211wt_1166

IT IS A Mach 1 (sorry - had to correct this) but, incorrect hood, incorrect paint treatment for std hood, stripe issues, etc. Sadly the owner was probably told all the wrong stuff he is stating.

Why would someone change a 28.000 mile car so much? They probably wouldn't. It is described almost as a concourse car.

Buyer be VERY aware.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that listing. You would at least think he would do a little research on Ebay before putting his foot in his mouth. If he didn't know a thing about Mustangs all he had to do was look at completed listings on similar cars or just Google it. Seems to me he doesn't want to know any more than what he thinks he knows. When I'm selling something of higher value I do plenty of research so I can document and confirm my facts and price it fairly. My two cents.

Leon

It's easy to hide lots of ugly things under pretty paint. If the restorer skimped on the correct hood and stripes I wonder what other short cuts he took.

didn't mach 1's have front disk? just saying .... vin swap?

I myself put a standard hood on my mach1 ... but that's because of my old one was trashed and I am going to a tunnel ram setup anyway

Same seller that had the hack-job orange restomod on a few weeks prior.

They've had a number of embarrassingly restored Lincolns up there too. Glossed-over stuff that isn't worth the asking price.

-Kurt

Actually, the hood is correct for the base Mach1, especially with a 302. The NASA or NACA hood was an option. The stripes are definitely wrong, though.....

Looks good in the pictures, but I think it is the lighting.

I thought V8 Mach 1's came with exhaust cutouts in the rear valence?

Also, I thought the stick shift cars came with a tachometer? It has the 3 gauges in the middle but not the tach?

It doesn't have staggered shocks, so it has the standard suspension, so I think drum brakes all the way around is correct.

A lot of mix matching parts to make it look good.

I do actually dig the stripes, not original, but different.

Actually, the hood is correct for the base Mach1, especially with a 302. The NASA or NACA hood was an option. The stripes are definitely wrong, though.....
From the 1971 Ford Mustang Facts Book posted on our WIKI:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/attachment.php?aid=11017

Here you can see a screen capture of the related page which lists the standard features of the Mach 1. There were no Mach 1's that were ever equipped with the standard hood.

szy8sy.jpg

And I just wanted to say I have been wrong about this stuff and have been corrected more times than I want to mention. But if anyone has any documentation that would indicate something different, I am more than willing to consider and investigate. I have spent most my lifetime searching out factory documentation for our cars. (I'm always looking for more... :D) I appreciate the level of knowledge here on this site. I keep on learning!

Ray

I myself put a standard hood on my mach1 ... but that's because of my old one was trashed and I am going to a tunnel ram setup anyway
Only 1971 model equipped with power front disk brakes was the Boss 351.

Ray

Here you can see a screen capture of the related page which lists the standard features of the Mach 1. There were no Mach 1's that were ever equipped with the standard hood.

szy8sy.jpg

And I just wanted to say I have been wrong about this stuff and have been corrected more times than I want to mention. But if anyone has any documentation that would indicate something different, I am more than willing to consider and investigate. I have spent most my lifetime searching out factory documentation for our cars. (I'm always looking for more... :D) I appreciate the level of knowledge here on this site. I keep on learning!

Ray

Ray
Weren't all convertibles equipped with disc brakes as well?

Ray, I'm pretty sure it was a free upgrade on 302 Mach 1 cars

But you could get a mach 1 302 with flat hood there are only a handful of them

The red car looks like a " make it shinny flip it " car to me

I see 20 things wrong

Best one is 3 out of 4 trunk lid bolts

BUT for all the NACA /NASA debates...

I see line one of the Ford book says NASA type hood

szy8sy.jpg

Ray

Ray
According to my sources ("Facts Books"), you are absolutely correct as it pertains to the 1971 Mach 1, however it is noted that in 1972, the NASA (NACA) hood was a "no cost option" on the Mach 1 when it was equipped with a 302 2V engine which seems to indicate there could have been some 1972 Mach 1s built with the "standard" (non-NASA) hood.

Be that is it may, it appears that ALL 1971 Mach 1s were built with the NASA hood.

Shucks, that would have made a GREAT WFQ:)!

BT

Tommy the disc brakes being standard on convertibles started in 73

The "base" Mach 1 came with the standard hood. The NASA hood was an option for little or no cost.

szy8sy.jpg

Ray

Ray
Weren't all convertibles equipped with disc brakes as well?

Back