incorrect Ram-Air hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's terrible...not even reasonably close. Even if the masker/ painter was attempting to come up with his own unique scheme, it has no coherent design...very incongruous.

Here is another bad (terrible)example of incorrect hood paint on a 73 convertible on CL ( big thx Dana (rpmcarter) for posting in another thread! )

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4660318743.html

Ray
Wow,

I am sorry but that hood is the worst hood i have ever seen on these cars. That would be the first thing i would get fixed. Until then it needs to have a big sack over it to protect people from seeing it!

What were they thinking?

Here is another bad (terrible)example of incorrect hood paint on a 73 convertible on CL ( big thx Dana (rpmcarter) for posting in another thread! )

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4660318743.html

Ray
Wow,

I am sorry but that hood is the worst hood i have ever seen on these cars. That would be the first thing i would get fixed. Until then it needs to have a big sack over it to protect people from seeing it!

What were they thinking?
that one looks way out of place!!

at least follow the outside of the ram air opening, and not though it!!

Look at the side stripes. Obviously masked in anattempt to replicate the OEM stripes. Not great, but much better than the atrocious hood paint.

Edit: We all have learned Kit worked with Graphics Express. Not Phoenix Express!!! Here is the Graphics Express website:

http://www.graphic-express.com/1971-1972_mach_1_mustang_stripes.asp

Just to remind a lot of the newer folks - Graphics Express (((NOT Phoenix Graphics))) has the most original/correct template for accurately painting our hood black or argent (if your car is supposed to be painted like that :) ) or you want to mod your car that way... :) :p

Here is the Graphics Express website:

http://www.graphic-express.com/1971-1972_mach_1_mustang_stripes.asp

One of our original owner members supplied measurement and pics to help ensure they got it RIGHT!

Thanks to Mr. Kit Sullivan for taking the time and effort to make this happen!

:)

Ray

I remember getting that magazine issue about 6-8 months after I had my car painted(1999ish), and thinking "rats" when mine was not painted correctly. I restored and had the car painted when I was stationed in England. All I had to go on was magazine pictures and they really never show exactly what details that you want to see. Its still ascetically pretty good, but not exact. Good enough for the type of car anyways IMO. I'm happy with it.

Magnum500s007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember getting that magazine issue about 6-8 months after I had my car painted(1999ish), and thinking "rats" when mine was not painted correctly. I restored and had the car painted when I was stationed in England. All I had to go on was magazine pictures and they really never show exactly what details that you want to see. Its still ascetically pretty good, but not exact. Good enough for the type of car anyways IMO. I'm happy with it.

Magnum500s007.jpg

Your car looks really good.

Ray

All factory- installed ram-air came with hood pins, tutone hood and "ram air" call outs.

Here is a picture of my brother's 72 Ramair Convertible... bought it from the original owner back in 1986 with original paint.

He was very careful to follow the original paint scheme on the car when it was time for repainting,

We see so many cars painted gloss black too.. not matt black like originally painted on his Med. Lime Metalic convert,

mach hood.jpg

409.JPG

Mine is incorrect and I love it. I find experts rarely take advice from anyone. It is a shame that he did not listen and just verify the facts. He could do an great article about how he messed up and a friendly Mustang owner set him straight followed by a how to fix the hood.

Aside

My PO took wrong to a whole new level but I love it. Just wish he had used Satin paint and not this matt porous stuff. May try a satin clear on it to revive it. The roof is really dull.

car wheels.jpg

Mine is incorrect and I love it. I find experts rarely take advice from anyone. It is a shame that he did not listen and just verify the facts. He could do an great article about how he messed up and a friendly Mustang owner set him straight followed by a how to fix the hood.
I the look of you hood :)

Here is a picture of my brother's 72 Ramair Convertible... bought it from the original owner back in 1986 with original paint.

He was very careful to follow the original paint scheme on the car when it was time for repainting,

We see so many cars painted gloss black too.. not matt black like originally painted on his Med. Lime Metalic convert,
Very nice loking car. I too prefer the matte black but it can require some extra work to keep looking right.

Does he have the Marti report for that car? Looks like he or the PO added side stripes. And if the Marti calls out Ram Air it could be a very early 72 convertible. 72's with factory installed Ram Air are very rare. Just curious if that convertible is one of those...

Car looks great - green used to be one of my least favorite colors. Now it is definitely one of my favorites!

Ray

Why so few Factory Ram air hoods in 72. Mine is an adder according to my Marti. Mine needs strips and I will add them on the weekend to further enhance the Beauty of the green. Any tips?

Just to remind a lot of the newer folks - Phoenix Graphics http://phoenixgraphix.com/ford.php has the most original/correct template for accurately painting our hood black or argent (if your car is supposed to be painted like that :) ) or you want to mod your car that way... :) :p

One of our original owner members supplied measurement and pics to help ensure they got it RIGHT!

Thanks to Mr. Kit Sullivan for taking the time and effort to make this happen!

:)

Ray
Ray - just to be sure on that, have you seen the final Phoenix Graphics stencil in person? The photos on their website both show cars painted with incorrect stencils.

Stock pictures? :rolleyes:

-Kurt

Why so few Factory Ram air hoods in 72. Mine is an adder according to my Marti. Mine needs strips and I will add them on the weekend to further enhance the Beauty of the green. Any tips?
Short answer is emission laws started to ramp up in 72 and the ran air isn't emissions friendly.

Kurt,

You are correct: Both of the cars shown on the "Pheonix Graphix" site ( black/ argent and red/black) have incorrectly painted hoods.

Rest assured though...neither of those cars used the template for thier hood paint. They are just random pics they grabbed for illustration purposes.

Seems stupid to not depict the correct appearance when that is the only reason to by the stencil in the first place...

Very nice loking car. I too prefer the matte black but it can require some extra work to keep looking right.

Does he have the Marti report for that car? Looks like he or the PO added side stripes. And if the Marti calls out Ram Air it could be a very early 72 convertible. 72's with factory installed Ram Air are very rare. Just curious if that convertible is one of those...

Car looks great - green used to be one of my least favorite colors. Now it is definitely one of my favorites!

Ray
Thanks!

Yes, the MR says his is 1 of 81 with Ramair.. Built October 1971

How did you guess the stripe?:rolleyes: I installed those back in the late 80's... they did not come on the car originally.. how did you know that dear Mr. Watson?

Back