incorrect Ram-Air hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to remind a lot of the newer folks - Phoenix Graphics http://phoenixgraphix.com/ford.php has the most original/correct template for accurately painting our hood black or argent (if your car is supposed to be painted like that :) ) or you want to mod your car that way... :) :p

One of our original owner members supplied measurement and pics to help ensure they got it RIGHT!

Thanks to Mr. Kit Sullivan for taking the time and effort to make this happen!

:)

Ray
Ray - just to be sure on that, have you seen the final Phoenix Graphics stencil in person? The photos on their website both show cars painted with incorrect stencils.

Stock pictures? :rolleyes:

-Kurt
Good Catch! I was going by what I had heard and seen from Kit Sullivan. He posted up a quick explanation. Looks like your assumption of 'stock photos' is correct.

EDIT: It is Graphics Express and here is their website http://www.graphic-express.com/1971-1972_mach_1_mustang_stripes.asp

Kurt,

You are correct: Both of the cars shown on the "Pheonix Graphix" site ( black/ argent and red/black) have incorrectly painted hoods.

Rest assured though...neither of those cars used the template for thier hood paint. They are just random pics they grabbed for illustration purposes.

Seems stupid to not depict the correct appearance when that is the only reason to by the stencil in the first place...
"Phoenix Graphix" is the right spellin' - I am the king of misspelled words in my posts... :) Thx Kit for the info!!!

Here is a picture of my brother's 72 Ramair Convertible... bought it from the original owner back in 1986 with original paint.

He was very careful to follow the original paint scheme on the car when it was time for repainting,

We see so many cars painted gloss black too.. not matt black like originally painted on his Med. Lime Metalic convert,
Very nice loking car. I too prefer the matte black but it can require some extra work to keep looking right.

Does he have the Marti report for that car? Looks like he or the PO added side stripes. And if the Marti calls out Ram Air it could be a very early 72 convertible. 72's with factory installed Ram Air are very rare. Just curious if that convertible is one of those...

Car looks great - green used to be one of my least favorite colors. Now it is definitely one of my favorites!

Ray
Thanks!

Yes, the MR says his is 1 of 81 with Ramair.. Built October 1971

How did you guess the stripe?:rolleyes: I installed those back in the late 80's... they did not come on the car originally.. how did you know that dear Mr. Watson?
Watson - not hardly. I learned that years ago but had it confirmed on here! If a car has the lower body two tone paint seperated by the stainless strip, it did not come with the side stripes. If a car was originally equipped with side stripes, it had a 1/4 inch tape stripe that seperated the contrasting matte black or argent paint from the body color.

That stainless trim - in nice condition can be tough to locate. It can aslo be a real PITA to take off and fill/finish the body to remove and apply lower body color and tape stripe correctly. That is why most don't bother.

Very cool that the Marti shows the Ram Air! Mine was built with Ram Air hood but it is non-funtional. My car is extremely late prod Q code 4-speed conv. I went to the dealer bought and added Ram Air it in the late 70's but will be going back original soon.

Hey, look at that... They actually did something mostly correct on my car...

IMG_0898_zps52340f5f.jpg

IMG_0899_zpsf43b0753.jpg
Totalled - it looks nice!

Ray

Mine's pretty close, even though there were some issues in getting it there. I used one of the templates, and it came out "OK," IMHO. But the template needs some tweaking for it to be perfect.

Here's the original hood after soda blasting with TuTone clearly showing - the pewter gave up in the Texas sun, but the black managed to hang in there somehow and protect the metal underneath. Also have no idea why the media couldn't handle the surface rust under the color, but it made short order of the TuTone area. Weird.

hood1.jpg

OK, First issue: I was unclear on the fore & aft placement, and the instructions on the template were not clear, either... so it was placed from the edge of the hood's pretty part, not the edge of the molding support (the true front edge of the hood). That was my mistake, so I can't blame the painter for that.

Second issue: The template is not 100% correct - it's too narrow side-to-side. Looking at the hood with the original TuTone, the template would be about 1.5 inches too narrow (about 3/4 inch on each side, by my estimation). It comes in 4 pieces - complete front section that covers from the duct openings forward, and 3 straight pieces that complete it from the duct openings rearward (one for each side, and a spare).

Third issue: The painter screwed up and placed the template about an inch too far off-center to the passenger side. When I saw it - oh my Gawd, it was a total disaster. The driver side of the template was almost right up against the lower bend of the raised area. This confirmed my suspicion of the template being too narrow.

Bonus points: the painter had also painted the hood black and was going to lay down the color last - backwards from the intended use of the template. So basically, we were doing this all in reverse of what it should've actually been. He used the template as a guide to lay down his own mask, then shot the pewter. Honestly, I don't care - it's all glossy anyway.

painted3.jpg

The upside to all the mistakes above: I told the painter I could fix the problem without getting a new template, and proceeded to reset the passenger side straight portion (from the duct to the rear of the hood, measuring in from the edge of the hood to keep it straight) in the correct positions (he'd gotten that all crooked - it tapered in toward the center on the way back to the rear of the hood). To fix the front, I left the template in-place where he had it, and hand striped the driver side along the outside stripe for the 'new' inside boundary, and added the 'new' outside stripe with some appropriate sized pinstripe he had in the shop (1/4 or 5/16," I believe). Then, added the 'spare' driver side straight section from the duct to the rear of the hood.

It's not perfect, especially since it's glossy and I messed up telling the painter to place it further back than it should've been. But I'm happy that I was able to recover and get it as close as I did, despite all the mistakes that led up to it.

To the untrained observer, it's passable I guess.

My advice on using the template: Split the front piece in half on the centerline, and place the template pieces 1.5 inches away from each other in the center, line up on the leading edge of the hood w/molding installed. Measure from the side edges of the hood when placing the straight pieces from the ducts to the rear of the hood to keep it all straight.

Hope this helps someone else get it right.

I measured my original hood's TuTone dimensions. The black (or argent) is 2" past the bends in the hood that make up the air inlets. I measured and drew on the car with a sharpie then took pics. I have them on my computer somewhere.

The front edge paint area is equidistant from the front edge of the hood (not counting the bended area for the hood trim) to the main black or argent color...meaning the car color painted area on each side of the black pin stripe is the same distance. You can see this in the blasted pewter hood pic if you look at the front of the hood. This was true on my original hood dimensions as well.

http://www.graphic-express.com/1971-1972_mach_1_mustang_stripes.asp

Info from their website says "1971 Originally painted hood by Ford factory was used to provide dimensions for paint stencil." I have not personally used this template but at least the ad is saying the right things.

1971-72_Mach1_mustang_nasa_hood_paint_stencil.jpg

1971-73 NASA (NACA) Paint Stencil Kit.

Paint stencil paints center blackout and pinstripe around.

Large stencil installs on nose of hood and has mask tapes to complete stencil to top of hood at windshield.

Part # Color Price

#841-ST Paint Stencil $49.95

Paint Stencils are always applied dry to the vehicle.

1971-72_Mach1_mustang_nasa_hood.jpg

Note: 1971 Originally painted hood by Ford factory was used to provide

dimensions for paint stencil.

I honestly don't recall which one mine was (G.E. or Phoenix Graphics) since Auron73Mach1 originally purchased it, then changed his mind on the direction of his car... so I bought it from him.

Just for clarification: my hood was used for the basis of the tutone template available from "Graphic Express". Two of thier employees drove from Iverness, FL ( where they are located) to my office in Orlando in 2002 and spent several hours measuring and photographing my car.

Once the template was made, they sent a couple for free. I gave one away and still have the other one in storage.

It was a long time ago, and I may heve recently mistakenly said that mine was done by "Pheonix Grahix"...but that is incorrect. It was "Graphics Express" that did mine. I have no info on the "Pheonix" template.

Sorry Kit. But thanks for update. I'll try and backtrack to edit and update this info I was going by what you told me. But best to get it out and end up with correct info. I'm sure a few heads are spinning trying to keep up.

Does Graphic Express still sell a template? When I get near a computer I'll research too.

Thanks!

Ray

Just to remind a lot of the newer folks - Phoenix Graphics http://phoenixgraphix.com/ford.php has the most original/correct template for accurately painting our hood black or argent (if your car is supposed to be painted like that :) ) or you want to mod your car that way... :) :p

One of our original owner members supplied measurement and pics to help ensure they got it RIGHT!

Thanks to Mr. Kit Sullivan for taking the time and effort to make this happen!

:)

Ray
Ray - just to be sure on that, have you seen the final Phoenix Graphics stencil in person? The photos on their website both show cars painted with incorrect stencils.

Stock pictures? :rolleyes:

-Kurt
Good Catch! I was going by what I had heard and seen from Kit Sullivan. He posted up a quick explanation. Looks like your assumption of 'stock photos' is correct.

EDIT: It is Graphics Express and here is their website http://www.graphic-express.com/1971-1972_mach_1_mustang_stripes.asp

Kurt,

You are correct: Both of the cars shown on the "Pheonix Graphix" site ( black/ argent and red/black) have incorrectly painted hoods.

Rest assured though...neither of those cars used the template for thier hood paint. They are just random pics they grabbed for illustration purposes.

Seems stupid to not depict the correct appearance when that is the only reason to by the stencil in the first place...
"Phoenix Graphix" is the right spellin' - I am the king of misspelled words in my posts... :) Thx Kit for the info!!!

Very nice loking car. I too prefer the matte black but it can require some extra work to keep looking right.

Does he have the Marti report for that car? Looks like he or the PO added side stripes. And if the Marti calls out Ram Air it could be a very early 72 convertible. 72's with factory installed Ram Air are very rare. Just curious if that convertible is one of those...

Car looks great - green used to be one of my least favorite colors. Now it is definitely one of my favorites!

Ray
Thanks!

Yes, the MR says his is 1 of 81 with Ramair.. Built October 1971

How did you guess the stripe?:rolleyes: I installed those back in the late 80's... they did not come on the car originally.. how did you know that dear Mr. Watson?
Watson - not hardly. I learned that years ago but had it confirmed on here! If a car has the lower body two tone paint seperated by the stainless strip, it did not come with the side stripes. If a car was originally equipped with side stripes, it had a 1/4 inch tape stripe that seperated the contrasting matte black or argent paint from the body color.

That stainless trim - in nice condition can be tough to locate. It can aslo be a real PITA to take off and fill/finish the body to remove and apply lower body color and tape stripe correctly. That is why most don't bother.

Very cool that the Marti shows the Ram Air! Mine was built with Ram Air hood but it is non-funtional. My car is extremely late prod Q code 4-speed conv. I went to the dealer bought and added Ram Air it in the late 70's but will be going back original soon.

Thanks Ray..that's what I suspected too.. good eye.. really like the stainless trim.. does that go for the wheel lip moldings too? no stripe?

Hey, look at that... They actually did something mostly correct on my car...

IMG_0898_zps52340f5f.jpg

IMG_0899_zpsf43b0753.jpg
Totalled - it looks nice!

Ray

Thanks Ray..that's what I suspected too.. good eye.. really like the stainless trim.. does that go for the wheel lip moldings too? no stripe?

No Mach 1's with wheel lip moldings from the factory. Not sure about other cars and the wheel lip moldings. Dealers would install them if the new owners requested.

Ray

Hi guys,

Came across an original paint 73 Mach 1 today on ebay. I asked the guy to measure the hood blackout as there is conflicting info out there. Here is a pic with his answer.

azfim8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are measuring from the incorrect point: DO NOT base the measurements from where the hood meets the molding. Take the measurement form the LEADING EDGE of the installed hood molding.

You are measuring from the incorrect point: DO NOT base the measurements from where the hood meets the molding. Take the measurement form the LEADING EDGE of the installed hood molding.
Kit...updated pic from leading edge with his measurement.

No Mach 1's with wheel lip moldings from the factory. Not sure about other cars and the wheel lip moldings. Dealers would install them if the new owners requested.

Ray

I think you could get wheel well moldings in 73

Ray
I think you could get wheel well moldings in 73

In my attempt to not hijack this ram air hood blackout paint thread, I started a new one to try and determine the correct answer for availability of the wheel opening trim for '73 Mach's:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-originality-of-wheel-trim-moldings-on-73-mach-1-s

Thanks!

Ray

Back