incorrect Ram-Air hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the radius of the front two corners where the blackout turns from headed to the front of the car to headed across to the center? 2-inches maybe?

That is correct! And it is great to see an original OEM hood for further verification.

To recap: 2" from the leading edge of the hood molding to the outside edge of the pinstripe.

dragging this up as i don't see a couple of measurements i would like to have as i intend to lay mine out by hand on my 73. What is the thickness of the pinstripe and what is the gap between the stripe and the remainder of the black on the hood?

There should be another thread out there where I did a rub off of my original 73 Mach 1 hood stripe also. One of the members took the info and had actual wrap cut for his hood instead of paint. I do believe most if not all of the available stencils are incorrect. We have also found that all of the 73 side stripes are incorrect in many ways. I ordered my car new had since delivery has sat in bar since 1982 and has a little over 12,000 miles on it. It is original for sure. Has not been washed in all those years so pollen and dust has a car cover on it. I did take clear water and wipe down the hood to do the rub off. Did the same with the side stripes and trunk stripes and they were checked to available repo and all repo stripes were incorrect. When suppliers were asked to change they said no that people bought what they had and would not change.

If anyone needs info on original hoods I have this one and two others in storage. They put the stripe or black out way off center. Had less than two minutes to do the hood. That is about the normal cycle time on assembly line.

David

:chin: Just wondering if someone can help me out on this one. I have a Yellow 1973 Mustang convertible and I'd like to add the complete Tu Tone paint / stripe scheme from a '72 I' looking for the correct paint code for the satin black portion of my ram air hood. Since the car originally didn't have any Tu Tone The door tag paint code simply states "6E" Yellow. Can anyone tell me what the paint code is for the Satin Black? Also can anyone confirm for me that the satin black treatment in the lower body is the same paint code as the hood? I assume yes but I've been burnt so many times before doing that assumption thing.  

Thank you in advance for any future help on this! - Bob

:chin: Just wondering if someone can help me out on this one. I have a Yellow 1973 Mustang convertible and I'd like to add the complete Tu Tone paint / stripe scheme from a '72 I' looking for the correct paint code for the satin black portion of my ram air hood. Since the car originally didn't have any Tu Tone The door tag paint code simply states "6E" Yellow. Can anyone tell me what the paint code is for the Satin Black? Also can anyone confirm for me that the satin black treatment in the lower body is the same paint code as the hood? I assume yes but I've been burnt so many times before doing that assumption thing.  

Hi Bob welcome to the site

This link is to the 429megasite paint page and should help

It will also show you the correct black out on the back underside of the hood paint layout inside of the doors and jambs

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
It was mentioned the black out of the underside of the hood. To clarify the rear edge of the underside of all hoods were sprayed with black out paint so to hide when driving down the road I assume. The picture is of an original paint yellow car with Decor Group. Decor Group added the bottom black out and was also on all 72 and 73 cars that ordered the side stripe option. The way the paint runs around the door opening and rear and front of the car is very specific. I believe the same black was used for the hood as the side.

Also on my original 73 Mach 1 the factory sprayed black around the front side marker lights before the stripe was applied and the frame for the side marker light is paint flat black. Some literature shows both ways but with black out it looks much better. This is only 73 model.

Also there is black sprayed on the inside edge of the tail light opening to hide body color paint when the Decor Group or Mach 1 is added. Notice in the pictures the black does wrap about the edges of the doors and quarter at the door opening. Black was applied before the body color for the body the black under the hood was sprayed after the color and no masking just let it over spray out.

I do not have a paint code to share but am told by a great painter that RM has most of the correct paint codes better than others out there.

Here are some more pictures can get you any you want and measurements if you need.

BTW to be correct if hood had black out or argent it had hood locks never was alone.

The paint is very flat for sure. The blue Mach 1 T-5 is original paint in Argent for side stripes hood and lower argent below stripe.

Cheers,

David

:thankyouyellow:

Hi Bob welcome to the site

This link is to the 429megasite paint page and should help

It will also show you the correct black out on the back underside of the hood paint layout inside of the doors and jambs

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

It was mentioned the black out of the underside of the hood. To clarify the rear edge of the underside of all hoods were sprayed with black out paint so to hide when driving down the road I assume. The picture is of an original paint yellow car with Decor Group. Decor Group added the bottom black out and was also on all 72 and 73 cars that ordered the side stripe option. The way the paint runs around the door opening and rear and front of the car is very specific. I believe the same black was used for the hood as the side.

Also on my original 73 Mach 1 the factory sprayed black around the front side marker lights before the stripe was applied and the frame for the side marker light is paint flat black. Some literature shows both ways but with black out it looks much better. This is only 73 model.

Also there is black sprayed on the inside edge of the tail light opening to hide body color paint when the Decor Group or Mach 1 is added. Notice in the pictures the black does wrap about the edges of the doors and quarter at the door opening. Black was applied before the body color for the body the black under the hood was sprayed after the color and no masking just let it over spray out.

I do not have a paint code to share but am told by a great painter that RM has most of the correct paint codes better than others out there.

Here are some more pictures can get you any you want and measurements if you need.

BTW to be correct if hood had black out or argent it had hood locks never was alone.

The paint is very flat for sure. The blue Mach 1 T-5 is original paint in Argent for side stripes hood and lower argent below stripe.

Cheers,

David
David, great documentation!  Extremely helpful pictures,  thank you very much for posting these pictures! :thankyouyellow: :thankyouyellow:

Black-outs and what is the best 'close-to' aftermarket paint for hood and lower body has been discussed numerous times recently. For a new member, searching can be a challenge at times and easier just to ask. I do it, we all do it!

The correct PPG Industries/Ditzler paint code for the black-outs is 9381 according to the 71 and 72 PPG paint code sheets for the Mustang. 9381 was also used on many interior parts.

For the non concours car when you just want it to look good to the casual observer, many of us have chosen SEM Hot-Rod Black. I have this on mine and it has proven to be quite durable without the special semi-gloss clear coat made for Hot-Rod Black. For interior and other parts I use SEM Trim Black. Again very durable when fully cured. Hot-Rod Black can also be used on interior parts, but I prefer rattle cans for this as I found it easier to touch up if necessary.

Here is a pic of my hood and yes, the distance from the leading edge to the 1/4" strip is incorrect. It should be 2". ( my painter misunderstood the instructions)

The stripe kit was from Graphics Express in Florida.

Geoff.

PS, a personal thought to save space and make posts easier to follow, please delete unnecessary pictures and text in replies. Just a pet peeve I guess, so sorry if it offends anyone.

Back