Increase HP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Have a 73 Vert with a stock 351 C 2V H code motor.  Have dual exhaust with an H pipe and 3 chamber Flowmasters.  Pertronic electric ignition.  What can I do to get a little more HP out of this motor ?  Thinking carb/intake, but I have been told that the heads on this motor won't or don't accept a 4 barrel carb well.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks

steve

Hello,

Have a 73 Vert with a stock 351 C 2V H code motor.  Have dual exhaust with an H pipe and 3 chamber Flowmasters.  Pertronic electric ignition.  What can I do to get a little more HP out of this motor ?  Thinking carb/intake, but I have been told that the heads on this motor won't or don't accept a 4 barrel carb well.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks

steve
Whoever is telling you that, you need to stop asking them for engine advice. 351C heads are some of the best ever bolted onto a factory engine, whether they are the 2 barrel or 4 barrel version. You 2V heads will outflow most factory small block heads, so they are a great platform for performance. 

A simple upgrade would be an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holley or Summit carb in the 600 cfm range. If you wanted to take it a step further, a cam swap would be a huge upgrade over the tiny factory camshaft.

Hello,

steve
Whoever is telling you that, you need to stop asking them for engine advice. 351C heads are some of the best ever bolted onto a factory engine, whether they are the 2 barrel or 4 barrel version. You 2V heads will outflow most factory small block heads, so they are a great platform for performance. 

A simple upgrade would be an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holley or Summit carb in the 600 cfm range. If you wanted to take it a step further, a cam swap would be a huge upgrade over the tiny factory camshaft.
Must have been a Chevy guy who doesn’t know what he is talking about. 

Listen to Hemikiller, he knows what he is talking about. Hope you have good luck with your engine updates.

That is what I did some 30 years ago! Edelbrock performance plus cam along with the performer plus 2v to 4v intake topped off with Holley Carburetor! Just sweet as apple pie and ice cream!

+1 on hemi's advice

I did this as well 30+ years ago when my 73 was still in 2V. I would really not go higher than a 650 carb.

Another extra quick, may you'd have a long 2:73 ratio as was on my 73, is to go in 3:25, 3:50.

Gives you higher rpm's on highway, but even with my really tired 2v engine, my tires hated me for this change.

Made a big difference at low speeds.

What I learned is.... To properly increase Horses comes with getting more fuel in and exhaust out - valve port size canted valves with special cam for specific lift - then those with real good skills look at Crank and stroke... these things change timing mechanical and electrical ---  with special keys on the timing and harmonic balance. . then nailing the appropriate plenum to inlet with carb + air ... the 351C is best suited with the advantages behind bigger cylinder heads + 4 bolt crank .... then long outlet headers to let all that gas out - to make the crescendo of that walloping pedal cyclist frightening burble... ahhh what bliss :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back