Insurance Increase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Before I go any further this post is to make everyone aware of a practice that goes on within the insurance industry that I wasn't aware of and a good reason to question any rate hikes.

I just got my annual regular car insurance bill that cover's my wife's car, my Ram truck and our 5th wheel camper. I notice an increase of $295 over last year's bill. Considering that we haven't filed any claims of any type this increase seemed more than a normal yearly increase.

I decided to call them and find out why the big increase. The agent told me they showed a "lifestyle change" and that I had put 29,000 miles on my truck since last year. WT*! I asked her where she had gotten that information from, and she told me they use 3rd party sources. I informed her that information was incorrect, and I had only maybe driven 5 or 6,000 tops.

At first, she seemed reluctant to believe me implying that their information was correct. I inquired if she could be specific who report the miles, but she said that information was not shown. I told her that I have the dealer's maintenance log and I could prove my total miles for the year. I had to take a picture of my current odometer reading and a screen shot of the dealer's maintenance records for the past 12 months and send them to her. After she received them, she went ahead and recalculated my bill and came up with a $32 increase.

This is a good example of why keeping records in one form or another is needed. I know a lot of companies rely on 3rd party info, but I never imagine that the insurance companies did as far as mileage was concerned. This is just another example of the misinformation that is out there floating around on a company's server about our personal lives.

The agent I spoke with was nice and was just doing her job. She apologized for the mistake.

because I live in the mountains and have a choice of either going to "bubba's garage" or the Ford dealer for my 4 daily drivers I choose the Ford dealer. This way all info is always written down and in computers and as I have 4 DD mileage is always lower then normal on all of them.

The insurance companies are in the business of making money, and there is nothing wrong with that. The issue is that they are one of the few companies that bill you for a service that they hope they never have to provide, and if they have to provide it, sometimes they will do all in their power to either get a way out of providing the service, or provide the lowest cost/quality service possible so that they can to maximize profits. I have had some REALLY bad experiences with insurance companies. In fact the only good insurance company I have ever seen is the one I have never had to put a claim to. I can't recall one time I put an insurance claim and had a pleasant experience. The worst of the lot was Grundy, stay as far away from them as possible!

The insurance companies are in the business of making money, and there is nothing wrong with that. The issue is that they are one of the few companies that bill you for a service that they hope they never have to provide, and if they have to provide it, sometimes they will do all in their power to either get a way out of providing the service, or provide the lowest cost/quality service possible so that they can to maximize profits. I have had some REALLY bad experiences with insurance companies. In fact the only good insurance company I have ever seen is the one I have never had to put a claim to. I can't recall one time I put an insurance claim and had a pleasant experience. The worst of the lot was Grundy, stay as far away from them as possible!
+1 to every word!

I had a pretty good experience with Hagerty Insurance when I had the accident with my Mach 1. The adjuster was kind of a jerk, but everything else went well. And I got a damn speeding ticket last summer in the Mustang and they haven’t raised my rates as of yet.

"The last remaining criminal enterprise" I think you have forgotten a few, most politicians, several federal and state agencies, most investment firms, big Pharma, much of the health care industry, etc. Suddenly used car salesmen seem reputable by comparison. My apologies to the liars, cheats, and thieves I failed to mention. Feel free to add to the list. Chuck

Most late model vehicles have tracking capability from the manufacturer. Many have telemetry to alert the dealer of CEL or low tire pressure then they alert you, so they know your mileage. The DMV in my state of RI sells our information to third party sources. Choose to opt-out and it turns out they still do it. I think this much explains all the specific car related junk mail and marketing calls we get. It makes our older cars that much more appealing.

Ron

I own a 71 ford bronco which is insured with Hagerty. I also own a 71 Mach 1 which is insured with Geico, Hagerty would not insure my Mach 1 because I don’t have a locked garage to keep it in.

Two weeks ago I blew the right front tire while driving in San Diego on the 5 freeway going 65 mph. The blowout caused $4,800 of damage to the fender. I had a Geico representative out the next day to evaluate the damages. I’ve yet to hear back from them as to how much they will pay. I was able to get a local resto body shop to take it in immediately, it’s being repaired now. We shall see what Geico will pay and how much out of pocket I will have to make up. Think I’ll be changing insurance companies soon. Sure hope Geico or any third party company does not monitor this site!!!

Attachments

• 81A86071-59C9-42D5-B611-7F3DE2431570.jpeg
    81A86071-59C9-42D5-B611-7F3DE2431570.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 17
Before I go any further this post is to make everyone aware of a practice that goes on within the insurance industry that I wasn't aware of and a good reason to question any rate hikes.

I just got my annual regular car insurance bill that cover's my wife's car, my Ram truck and our 5th wheel camper. I notice an increase of $295 over last year's bill. Considering that we haven't filed any claims of any type this increase seemed more than a normal yearly increase.

I decided to call them and find out why the big increase. The agent told me they showed a "lifestyle change" and that I had put 29,000 miles on my truck since last year. WT*! I asked her where she had gotten that information from, and she told me they use 3rd party sources. I informed her that information was incorrect, and I had only maybe driven 5 or 6,000 tops.

At first, she seemed reluctant to believe me implying that their information was correct. I inquired if she could be specific who report the miles, but she said that information was not shown. I told her that I have the dealer's maintenance log and I could prove my total miles for the year. I had to take a picture of my current odometer reading and a screen shot of the dealer's maintenance records for the past 12 months and send them to her. After she received them, she went ahead and recalculated my bill and came up with a $32 increase.

This is a good example of why keeping records in one form or another is needed. I know a lot of companies rely on 3rd party info, but I never imagine that the insurance companies did as far as mileage was concerned. This is just another example of the misinformation that is out there floating around on a company's server about our personal lives.

The agent I spoke with was nice and was just doing her job. She apologized for the mistake.
Read an article in Consumer Reports that stated the longer you are with your insurance company the more likely they are to raise you rates as they feel you will not drop them. Case in point, I had been with Nationwide since a teen (am now retired) and every year my rate with inch up even though my everyday cars are older and I (or my wife) have not had any accidents or tickets. This past Dec, they kicked up my rate by about $70/year and I felt enough was enough. Researched companies and settled on USAA, they have an excellent record and beat nationwide by about $150 a year. They are owned by their customers, do not have to appeal to stock holders. Only catch is you must be a vet to be eligible, however all of your family are eligible, including your kids/grandkids if your a vet.

I own a 71 ford bronco which is insured with Hagerty. I also own a 71 Mach 1 which is insured with Geico, Hagerty would not insure my Mach 1 because I don’t have a locked garage to keep it in.

Two weeks ago I blew the right front tire while driving in San Diego on the 5 freeway going 65 mph. The blowout caused $4,800 of damage to the fender. I had a Geico representative out the next day to evaluate the damages. I’ve yet to hear back from them as to how much they will pay. I was able to get a local resto body shop to take it in immediately, it’s being repaired now. We shall see what Geico will pay and how much out of pocket I will have to make up. Think I’ll be changing insurance companies soon. Sure hope Geico or any third party company does not monitor this site!!!
Sorry to hear. It hurts looking at the picture. Glad to see you're ok and it wasn't any worse. You better pucker up because I got a feeling it's going to hurt.

+1 to every word!
Fortunately I have not yet had a bad experience with any of the auto insurance companies I we have used since 1970. One of the reasons is we (my parents, and later myself as well) used only very reputable insurance companies. Companies that were renowned to be no less than totally fair at every opportunity with a claim that has been filed. Perhaps it is because those companies founders saw the horrible experiences with other auto insurance companies, and felt there was an opportunity to get into the business and target the wealthier and more affluent customers. Customers who are willing to pay top dollar to get to top service, and at only a little bit more than the claims experience of the established auto insurance companies.

The companies I have dealt with one way or another that showed me excellence in customer care would be:
  • USAA
  • AAA (to include Automobile Club Of Southern California)
  • GEICO
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Nationwide
  • Hagerty
  • American Collectors
There may be many other high quality insurance companies out there as well. And, it is possible someone within our group had has a horrible experience with one or more of the companies I listed above. In any event, I have had to deal with some of "the other" insurance companies because I was repair technician within the industry and one of those other companies had an adjuster that dealt with me. Or in a few accidents that were caused 100% responsibility, the drivers had coverage by one of the less desirable companies.

In any event, if any other insurance company had dealt with me, from any perspective, in a manner that was in any way less than honest, lawful, and honorable I let it be known I am prepared to do whatever it took to make certain I was not going to end up losing anything on account of whatever it was their "insured' did to cause me harm, injury, loss of property, etc. I would also let the person(s) I was speaking with that their initial announcement re: "This call may be recorded..." message cuts both ways. If their way of getting me to agree to being recorded was assumed by my staying on the call, then it my understanding I can record our conversation also because we are dealing with one or more states that have an "all party consent" type legislation when it comes to recording phone calls, plus other kinds of communication.

In short, I was letting whoever I was speaking with know I was not one to be trifled with. And I did it without saying I was going to get an attorney or lawyer. As soon as someone mentions getting a lawyer, the insurance company will discontinue any more casual customer contacts needed for business purposes, and advise all other communications must be from my lawyer to their legal staff. Bad move to make. It was sufficient that I let them know I was coming at this while both barrels of my sawed ff shotgun were ready to be used if needed - with not a single mention of any word that would let them cease communication other than that through my lawyer. So, yeah, you bet they treated me good. Every time. I made sure of it. For companies on my Good Guys list above, I never once had to resort to that tactic.

Anyway, if you wanted to be treated well, honestly, and without grief I recommend any of the companies on my Good Guy list above. If you go cheap, expect cheap.

Read an article in Consumer Reports that stated the longer you are with your insurance company the more likely they are to raise you rates as they feel you will not drop them. Case in point, I had been with Nationwide since a teen (am now retired) and every year my rate with inch up even though my everyday cars are older and I (or my wife) have not had any accidents or tickets. This past Dec, they kicked up my rate by about $70/year and I felt enough was enough. Researched companies and settled on USAA, they have an excellent record and beat nationwide by about $150 a year. They are owned by their customers, do not have to appeal to stock holders. Only catch is you must be a vet to be eligible, however all of your family are eligible, including your kids/grandkids if your a vet.
I am a HUGE fan of USAA. I have been insured by them since 1970. Honorable, tightly run ship without making customers (members) feel like we are nothing but cheats and liars looking to extract all we can from the insurance company.

I have had problems with Allstate, Progressive, Geico, and the worst of the lot was Grundy. I would probably use Geico again, but not any of the other ones, especially Grundy. Those Grundy guys are like mafia union bosses, slick, slimy, lying, cheats...

Back