Interchangeable hoods?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fs93543

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Coupe
Hey you guys. I have a 71 with a standard hood, i wanted to trade my brother the hood and some shackle bars for his 1973 NASA hood but, I was wondering if it would fit in a 71. The car is really far away from were i live and i dont want to drive that far only to find out that it doesnt fit. any help please?

They will interchange, but fit is something else. Even among the same years, hoods will not automatically swap and fit well. Have him measure corner to corner diagonally both ways and then do the same for your car to minimize potential fittment issues.

They will interchange.

1. On your car measure the distance from the side edge of the hood to the side edge on the hood support bracket at each bolt location

2. Measure the distance from the rear edge of the hood to the rear edge of the bracket.

3 & 4. Repeat measurements on the other side of the hood.

You should have 6 measurements at this point.

5. Install the new hood using these same distance measurements.

This will get you somewhat close to the correct location.

inconsistencies in manufacturing is why everything is adjustable. the fenders can be shimmed to fit your hood but it is a trial and error scenario

Don't forget about getting the right hood springs. The standard hood springs will have problems holding the NASA hood up.

NASA hood springs are squared off, the standard springs are round.

For real I didn't know that they had different springs, hopefully he still has his.

Thats a long standing argument. My uncle has the round springs on his NASA hood with ram air with NO issues what so ever, mine has the NASA hood without ram air with round springs with no problems. Its is true that they were different springs round and flat but like I said ask 6 people you will get 6 answers. Also this was only for 71's as far as I know. Here is a link with it http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm

Thats a long standing argument. My uncle has the round springs on his NASA hood with ram air with NO issues what so ever, mine has the NASA hood without ram air with round springs with no problems. Its is true that they were different springs round and flat but like I said ask 6 people you will get 6 answers. Also this was only for 71's as far as I know. Here is a link with it http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/mustang_exterior.htm
Very useful link

My '72 had a NASA hood when I bought it and I am guessing originally since it is a real deal Mach--the springs are round and they do hold the hood up--for what its worth...

That is interesting. I replaced my standard hood with a NASA hood as well. 1973. Round springs. Generally I have no issues with the hood staying up. There have been a couple of times, if the engine was running rough, that it would drop down but if I just put the hood up it will stay that way for weeks. No RAM air. I don't know how much extra weight the RAM air adds.

Back