Interval Wipers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hey yall!
I drove my 72 Mach 1 in the rain for the first time last week. The lack of modern amenities hits then. The wiper motor seems very weak and the lack of interval wipers was a pain. I did som research online and determined that retrofitting interval wipers is possible. One YouTube video said it could be done by procuring a wiper setup from early 1980s F150s. All is needed is the switch and the wiper module. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It is very possible as wiring connections are the same. You will run into problems with the truck adjustable switch stem length, which is shorter.
It will still work as is, but you would need to pull the metal collar out of knob some and use it gently...Seen the correct NOS intermittent switch f/s on eBay for around $100!

1716463168024.png

Many many years ago I learned AMC products in the 80's used the same governor and switch assembly. I lived in an AMC town so a quick trip to the junkyard and I had intermittent wipers. It is an easy conversion.

I have one in a box I got from CJPony a few years back. Never got around to installing it.
IIRC, it required a little cutting and splicing of wires. So its not as direct plug and play nor reversible as some of the ford ones.

And I believe there was a little song and dance to use it. Because it supports multiple speeds, you cycle through the speeds by turning it off and on or something like that, and each time, you get a different speed.

It is very possible as wiring connections are the same. You will run into problems with the truck adjustable switch stem length, which is shorter.
It will still work as is, but you would need to pull the metal collar out of knob some and use it gently...Seen the correct NOS intermittent switch f/s on eBay for around $100!

View attachment 88935
I do not drive our vintage ponies unless the roads are clear of Winter salt residue and dry. So, the last thing I needed was intermittent wipers. But, when I looked at a schematic for our 73 Mach 1, I saw the wiper switch plugs and wiper motor (and circuitry) were the same whether for a two speed or variable speed switch. So, I took a chance and ordered a NOS variable speed wiper switch. And here I am, nearly 4 or 5 years later, and I still haven't taken the time to swap those switches. Too busy doing other things (door glass replacement, swap in an AOD, etc.).

Anyway, it is good know from someone who actually did this, that the two switches are interchangeable. Maybe now I will get off my dead tail feathers and do the swap, despite not driving in the rain. Just another fun little change to the already awesome 73 Mach 1...

View attachment 88935
I've got one of those in my '72 Q code vert!

Over time, a few people have contacted me and asked if the wiper motors differed for intermittent and standard wiper systems. Only one wiper motor was used for all '71-73 Mustangs and Cougars, D1ZZ-17508-A Motorcraft WM-254. (Ford ID# D1ZF-AA, D2ZF-AA). You can add intermittent wipers by adding a governor and replacing the two-speed wiper switch. The original governor is D1ZZ-17C476-A (ID# D1ZF-17C476-AA, AB or D2ZB-AA). The original D1ZZ-A governor was discontinued on 9/79 and replaced by D3TZ-17C476-A (ID# D3TB-14C476-AA) used on the 73-77 F series trucks. The D3TZ-A governor was discontinued on 4/94 and was not replaced by any subsequent governors used on the '78/ truck series.

The specific switch you need for your '71-73 Mustang and Cougar is Ford part# D1ZZ-17A553-B, Motorcraft SW-993. (Ford ID# D1ZB-17A553-BB or D2ZB-AA)

I've seen some governors and switches on eBay, Rear Counter.com, etc. Aftermarket setups are available, but I'm hesitant to cut and splice on a 50+-year-old wire harness. I like plug-and-play OE style so as not to modify the factory harness and ask for problems later. If the internet prices are more than you want to pay, I would contact CandyRcode, who posted that he had used working Switches and Governors for $150. Ford manufactured many underhood and electrical components for AMC, so there is a 99.9% chance that the AMC governors some have used are Ford/Motorcraft products
1716753850199.jpeg

Over time, a few people have contacted me and asked if the wiper motors differed for intermittent and standard wiper systems. Only one wiper motor was used for all '71-73 Mustangs and Cougars, D1ZZ-17508-A Motorcraft WM-254. (Ford ID# D1ZF-AA, D2ZF-AA). You can add intermittent wipers by adding a governor and replacing the two-speed wiper switch. The original governor is D1ZZ-17C476-A (ID# D1ZF-17C476-AA, AB or D2ZB-AA). The original D1ZZ-A governor was discontinued on 9/79 and replaced by D3TZ-17C476-A (ID# D3TB-14C476-AA) used on the 73-77 F series trucks. The D3TZ-A governor was discontinued on 4/94 and was not replaced by any subsequent governors used on the '78/ truck series.

The specific switch you need for your '71-73 Mustang and Cougar is Ford part# D1ZZ-17A553-B, Motorcraft SW-993. (Ford ID# D1ZB-17A553-BB or D2ZB-AA)

I've seen some governors and switches on eBay, Rear Counter.com, etc. Aftermarket setups are available, but I'm hesitant to cut and splice on a 50+-year-old wire harness. I like plug-and-play OE style so as not to modify the factory harness and ask for problems later. If the internet prices are more than you want to pay, I would contact CandyRcode, who posted that he had used working Switches and Governors for $150. Ford manufactured many underhood and electrical components for AMC, so there is a 99.9% chance that the AMC governors some have used are Ford/Motorcraft products
View attachment 89018

Excellent details. Thank you.
What is this one that CJ sells? https://www.cjponyparts.com/windshi...MIzsPL5sGwhgMVh0p_AB0ixQVxEAQYAiABEgL9m_D_BwE
They claim for F100 from 73 to 79. Can this be made to work?

a good coat of rainx will solve a lot of rain problems, rain just runs off, especially at speed. I do this to all of my cars, hardly every use my wipers. For some reason wipers bug me when they are running. Use the orginal stuff, not the window cleaner + rainx, that is weak.
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Ounce-Rain-Repellent-PACK/dp/B076YXDCLZ

Back