Introduction Searching for a Sprint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome from West Virginia! I love the Lincolns with the suicide doors.

Thanks guys. This group sure knows how to make a fellow feel at home.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller. He has no title to the car and I'm unwilling to bite on the car without it. There is absolutely no way I can export it from the USA without a title let alone import it here and get it registered.

I know there are ways to get a car retitled but they are expensive so that would definitley reflect in my offer on the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess I have to keep looking. The car I was interested in was for sale on E-bay with no bids until now. The opening bid was more than I was willing to spend or a messed up car with no title so I am not going to bid. I'll let the current bidder deal with the title issues and all the restoration it will need. I'm sad about it but I'm not willing to risk hard earned bucks on a car I will never be able to register here and therefore never drive and enjoy.

I'll just keep searching, sooner or later the right deal will show up.

Sorry to hear that. One will turn up. One of the main Sprint guys on here, Rex (vamach), may be able to help you locate one. Rex organized the Sprint drectory and has singlehandedly done more to promote Sprint knowledge than all the others combined.

Even though this one deal fell through I hope you keep posting on here. You're collection of Lincolns and campers has stirred a lot of conversation that many of us enjoy looking at and talking about. I even welcome a build thread on them if you are inclined to do so. ;)

Sorry to hear that. One will turn up. One of the main Sprint guys on here, Rex (vamach), may be able to help you locate one. Rex organized the Sprint drectory and has singlehandedly done more to promote Sprint knowledge than all the others combined.

Even though this one deal fell through I hope you keep posting on here. You're collection of Lincolns and campers has stirred a lot of conversation that many of us enjoy looking at and talking about. I even welcome a build thread on them if you are inclined to do so. ;)
I will of course keep looking. I've wanted a Sprint since I discovered them on a Pinto forum. it would be great to get all three, the stang, the Pinto and the Maverick. From what I understand the Pinto's are the hardest to find as they were the disposable cars of that era so not many are left. I wouldn't mind one that needs a lot of work but of course it has to have a clear title. Actually I rather enjoy the work more than just buying a car that is done. Anybody can just pay for their ride but if you can say I actually built that car IMHO means a lot more. i get compliments about my truck but all I did was buy it, Ford gets the credit for building it.

I can post a link to my thread on the Airstream forums showing my build of the 73 Excella and if you are really interested another link to the Lincoln forum for my 61 Continental.

I can start a thread here showing the ongoing work of the Lincoln and any other cars/ trailers I start too. I wasn't sure it would be appropriate to do so since this is a 71-73 Stang forum.

Actually I'm in the middle of a little bit of rust repair on a 2003 Escape I bought for my niece as a graduation present. She is 16 and will graduate from high scool next June. She will get the truck only if she graduates with honors, If not I told her it's the bus for her. :D it's a huge carrot on a stick to ensure she gets good enough marks to get into university.

Sure, post the links. I'd like to see them.

Actuall there are 5 sprint versions: pinto, maverick, and coupe, sportsroof and convertible mustang Sprints. Only 50 Sprint convertibles were made in 1972. Very nice looking cars. I think the Canadian Sprints may be the most rare.

Btw, one day I'll get a classic Airstream or Avion and will pull it with a period correct country squire or F250 supercab 4x4. That's the plan anyway in 15-20 years out.

Well I spent most of today surfing the net. I found 8 sprints for sale on Craigslist. 6 are coupes and 2 are F/B's. they range in condition from a shell unrestored, a silver respray needing restoration but driving, one partially restored and in pieces, one highly modifed poorly, a good restored driver quality, a nice looking rstored one, a show quality restoration and the most expensive one is a B package Q code F/B that has been restored.

The prices range from best offer on the shell to $20K for the F/B.

I also found what is claimed to be a Canadian Sprint coupe needing a full restoration. It is only 2 hrs from me. The bad thing is they will only sell it to you if you hire them to do the restoration. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if the claim is true and what kind of money they are talking about.

BTW does anyone have numbers on how many Canadian Sprints were made?

Well I spent most of today surfing the net. I found 8 sprints for sale on Craigslist. 6 are coupes and 2 are F/B's. they range in condition from a shell unrestored, a silver respray needing restoration but driving, one partially restored and in pieces, one highly modifed poorly, a good restored driver quality, a nice looking rstored one, a show quality restoration and the most expensive one is a B package Q code F/B that has been restored.

I also found what is claimed to be a Canadian Sprint coupe needing a full restoration. It is only 2 hrs from me. The bad thing is they will only sell it to you if you hire them to do the restoration. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if the claim is true and what kind of money they are talking about.

Were all your CL finds in Canada?

Were all your CL finds in Canada?
No none of them were in Canada. I've tried using various search engines to do a search of Craigslist but none work well. I actually searched right on CL city by city starting in Alabama and ending in Wyoming. I looked at every 72 Mustang for sale to see if they looked like Sprints. It was time consuming but worth while as 3 of them did not have Sprint in the ad title and I would have missed them if I used the word sprint in my search.

The Canadian Sprint was found doing a google search for Sprints and it turned up on a site I've never seen before.

I actually searched right on CL city by city starting in Alabama and ending in Wyoming. I looked at every 72 Mustang for sale to see if they looked like Sprints.
Man - you have been bit badly.

I don't believe anyone has ever recovered from such a bad case!

This is perhaps a case for the books - I am anxiously watching this case. :D

I contacted the company here in Ontario Canada that has the coupe available for restoration by them and am awaiting a call back from the owner.

Also through a little research I read where only 95 Sprints were delivered to Canada. I can't confirm this as it was what was written in an Article in a Mustang magazine. If it is true and this car is a Canadian Sprint it will be very rare. it's just too bad it isn't a B package Q code F/B like the one I missed on E-bay.

Hi all, I need some help here. I found this car this morning on CL.

Does it look like a sprint to anybody else? The seats look like sprint material.
I called this guy yesterday and asked if the car was for sale and his answer was "yup". Then I asked for some more information about the car and he responded with something undecipherable and hung up on me. I called back and left a message stating I was interested in the car (actually I left 2 messages) but he did not call back. I even gave him my toll free number so he could call without incurring any long distance charges but no call back. I guess that's why the car is still available.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got off the phone with the owner of the company here who has the Cdn coupe available. It was a great call and once he gets the full Marti report proving it is a Cdn car I am pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on it. I did get a correction in that 495 Sprints made it up here north of the border.

I'm a little bit lost in that I won't be able to work on the car as he only sells the cars he has to someone who hires him to do the work, but how long would it take me to find another Cdn car myself.

It will be 1.5 yrs to 2 yrs before he can start it and probably a year or more until it's done. The finished price will be close to it's value so even if I sold it I wouldn't be losing much.

I am excitied to see the Marti report and then go see the car in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back