Introduction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello From Sarnia Ontario

Nice car.

Hopefully next spring i will be asking you for top installation tips!
Err..... ummm.... OK.. from what I remember...

1) Keep kids and sensitive souls out of earshot.

2) Measure your original top's specs (bow height, rib spacing, etc.) before removing the original.

3) Do NOT rely on measurements included with replacement top (see also #2)

4) Double check measurements (see also #1).

5) Do NOT plan on doing the installation and particularly the top to tack strip stapling (which involves standing on your head inside the rear top boot) in 90+ degree weather. (see also #1)

Seriously, it wasn't as bad as all of that, but some care and attention is needed. Do double check all dimensions in any instructions because (at least on my top) the measurements on the original top did not equal those in the instructions. Oddly though the top fit just fine once I made the adjustments.

The biggest issue for me was the rear tack strip along were the top was stapled in. Mine was pretty chewed up in the corners and it was hard to get the staples to bite as well as I would have liked. This is one of those parts that is not (or WAS not when I did mine) reproduced yet.

Red73
Thanks

My tops now off, I have a new one for when it goes back together.

The old top wasn't installed very well, they used steel staples.

The old tack strips are chewed up.

I think will replace them!

I found some on line.

Did you use the Stainless steel staples and the special stapler?

It look like the rear tack strip is the tricky part of the job

Hi Red

and welcome to the site from

Brisbane Australia

I had a new top fitted to mine

I looked at it measured it

and then gave it to an upholsterer

$900 later I got it back "fits perfectly"

we could just about be twins mines a 72

base model six cylinder T bar and drums all round

at least they are power drums and a power top

a technical question for you

My car has chrome at the front was this an extra

or did some models have chrome and some paint

thanks John

Hi and welcome to the forum. ::welcome::

It´s getting pretty crowded in the convertible department! :D

My car has chrome at the front was this an extra

or did some models have chrome and some paint

thanks John
Nope, the chrome was standard on all body styles except for the cars with decor group (optional Mach1 grille and urethane bumper), the Boss 351 and the Mach 1.

The Boss had painted fender extensions and hood molding and a Mach1 grille but it came with a chrome bumper unlike the Mach1 which had a urethane one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am brand new to 7173 Mustangs since I found out about it's existence today. I currently own 1971, 1973 convertibles and a 1972 sportsroof that is a retired and being parted out 1/4 mile racer named "Rustang". The 351 2 barrel Windsor with a 4 speed and 4:11 gears was really fun and a formidable competitor at New Jersey and Pennsylvania tracks but most of all it was big fun whether it won or lost races. I found out about the site because I currently have the 1973 for sale. Although I own, and or have owned, earlier model Mustangs I enjoy the 1971 to 1973s equally. I have a friend who has a 1971 351 Cleveland, 4 speed convertible that I hope winning the lottery will allow me to buy it one day.

Marvin350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back