Is the defrost bezel in repop?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
I've started restore my 71 dashboard.
Over the past few years, I bought new bezels for both my cars.

bezelrepop.jpg
lighter, wipers, lights... from Ohio mustang.

Seeing I forgot to buy the defrost one, I went look and can't find it. Went to other shops and same result. Is it not in reproduction?
My 71 not that bad (see bellow), but my 73 is.

Where to find this baby?

bezeldefrost.jpeg

Hello Fabrice,
This part may be a tough one to find. By 1982 Ford considered this bezel a class "C" slow/inactive seller and moved it to their National Parts Depot in Livonia, MI.
This is where slow-moving parts that still get an occasional hit go to die. By 1985 it was discontinued, so it has been out of the parts system for a while.

The reproduction people probably felt safe with the Lights, Wiper, and Lighter bezels since they are used in all the '71-3s. According to Marti's Mustangs by the Numbers, 409,642 '71-3 Mustangs were built. Of those, 31,345 were equipped with the rear defrost option. That's around 7.6% of the total production, so while they begrudgingly made the other three bezels, they decided we didn't need the rear defrost bezel. And....since we are not part of the '65-70 club, there are no bezel and knob kits available for us!

I checked my old Dealer locater services, all my usual NOS locators, and regular sources for anything Ford and came up with nothing. Of all the '71-3 Mustangs equipped with this option, it's anyone's guess as to how many are still around. I know of all the parts cars I've owned or helped friends with; I only remember one with this option. If you have some sources, you would like to check; the part number is D1ZZ-18598-A (ID# D1ZB-18C655-AA, AB). If nothing turns up, I would suggest Mike @ Motor City Mustang or Don @OMS. They have been known to pull a rabbit out of their hats for Forum members here with some hard-to-find pieces.

And I'm still working on that information I promised to send you. I am just running behind again, as usual! :)

@secluff
Yeah, after looking here and there it became obvious that finding a new one or good used one would become hard…
However, I was lucky twice! Even three, as to begin both my cars have the option. I even have a spare glass for my 73, found in a junkyard in Belgium probably 30 years ago..
Today was again mustang day and after a good clean up, I saw the bezel I have (pict above) is actually not pitted, there was black paint like stains on it, which I took for chrome that had popped up. I think that once the center nut will have received a good polish that it will look as new again.
And last but least, as we speak, a used working switch with knob is about to cross the ocean. Sold by a gentleman from this forum. I guess I was lucky but being in the 7.6% helped as well as they were offered for a while. In fact, he even still have a full set for sale. Glass, harness and switch/bezel. Pity shipping is that expensive these days…

@jb73Mach
Both my cars have the knobs broken. How is it even possible I don’t know. As said above, I have a switch with knob coming for my 71. For my 73, I will apply your solution which was on top of my head, to use the knop from a vert…
I actually have bookmarked this long ago, thx for posting! ;)

Back